* Re: unable to cancel my own articles
       [not found] <ylcyaxtzqm6.fsf@ns.luni.ml.org>
@ 1998-04-01 13:54 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-04-01 13:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

torbjok@ifi.uio.no (Torbjørn Køhler) writes:

> in gnus 5.6.2 it was no problem, but with 5.6.3 and 5.6.4 i'm no
> longer able to cancel my own articles.  gnus complain with "This
> article is not yours".  I'm f.ex. unable to cancel the following
> article:

[...]

> Sender: torbjok@ns.luni.ml.org

Gnus now checks the Sender header when cancelling.  Anyone have a
better idea how to check whether the user is who they say they is?

(Gee.  I love using "they" as a singular non-gender-specific pronoun.)

* Re: unable to cancel my own articles
@ 1998-04-01 14:32   ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 1998-04-01 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

  Lars> Gnus now checks the Sender header when cancelling.  Anyone
  Lars> have a better idea how to check whether the user is who they
  Lars> say they is?

Telepathy.  Or, ask the Oracle of Delphi.  Other than that, I wouldn't
know.  For instance, if I claim to be `kai@acm.org', is this true or
false?  How can you find out?  How can Gnus find out?

As someone recently suggested using *.org addresses to reduce the
amount of spam one gets, that isn't at all an unlikely suggestion, is
it?

kai
--
Really cancel?   [OK]  [Cancel]

* Re: unable to cancel my own articles
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-04-24 18:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai Grossjohann <grossjohann@charly.cs.uni-dortmund.de> writes:

> Telepathy.  Or, ask the Oracle of Delphi.  Other than that, I wouldn't
> know.  For instance, if I claim to be `kai@acm.org', is this true or
> false?  How can you find out?  How can Gnus find out?

The best Gnus can guess at is the host name.

* Re: unable to cancel my own articles
@ 1998-04-26 15:53       ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 1998-04-26 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

  > The best Gnus can guess at is the host name.

But Gnus forbids cancelling when Gnus guesses wrongly.

kai
--
You ate somebody? -- Just a leg. -- That's terrible! -- Not with mustard.
(Terry Pratchett: Interesting Times)

* Re: unable to cancel my own articles
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-04-26 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai Grossjohann <grossjohann@charly.cs.uni-dortmund.de> writes:

> But Gnus forbids cancelling when Gnus guesses wrongly.

It's not supposed to.  It should guess the same way both when you post
and when you cancel.  If it gets it wrong the first time, it should
get it wrong in the same way the second time.

(This is new behavior.  Gnus now only checks the Sender header, not
the From header.)