* Possible ideas for "inbox zero"
@ 2015-12-14 17:28 Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2015-12-14 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

This article has some workable ideas for a more "inbox zero" kind of
setup:

http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/technology/2015/02/email_overload_building_my_own_email_app_to_reach_inbox_zero.html?wpsrc=sp_all_native_by-section

The main problem with having an overflowing "misc" inbox is that there's
usually so much stuff in there that just thinking about replying to
anything immediately gets replaced by "let's watch a film instead".

Let's face it, nothing is going to make answering email fun, but we
could perhaps procrastinate a bit better.

Here's my concrete take-away from the article:

If getting to inbox zero is possible, perhaps even enjoyable, on a daily
basis, then perhaps we could get more stuff done.  To make it more
enjoyable, we go through each unread email and tap a simple set of
guilt-less commands:

1) "b"  Ban this email address an never show anything from it again.
This would be typical of newsletters and stuff you always seem to end up
on.  The Gnus action would be to filter this to a "junk" group.

2) "d"  Mark as read and remove from view.

3) "m"  Mute the thread -- make all subsequent articles not be displayed.
The Gnus action would be to score lower on thread and expunge.

4) "p"  Postpone.  Make the article disappear for a week.  I'm not quite
sure whether Gnus has this already -- there was some discussion about it
the other...  year...

5) "r"  Refile to a specific project.  We all have projects that we're
doing, only "not just now".  The Gnus action is just moving to a
different folder (and mark as unread or ticked).

And, of course, reply to the ones we want to reply to.  The idea,
anyway, is to be able to breeze through the inbox all the time with
sunshine and sweetness in our hearts, instead of looking at the
ever-growing number of undealt with messages.

I think it might be interesting to implement something like this...  I'm
taking February off from work, so I'll probably be back to Gnus hacking
again.