* nnmaildir: Performance in nnmaildir-request-update-info
@ 2007-12-01 22:29 Christian Plate
From: Christian Plate @ 2007-12-01 22:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hello,

I found a performance problem in nnmaildir and think i solved it.

Problem: I have various maildirs with >9000 mails. If i read a new
mail, quit the group and then hit "gnus-group-get-new-news" in the
Groups-buffer, it takes 30s till i get an updated Groups-buffer.

Profiling shows that nnmaildir-request-update-info is to
blame. gnus-add-to-range is called for every single article which is
found in the markdirs.

I changed the implementation to collect all article numbers in a list
and then call gnus-add-to-range only once with that list of article
numbers.

This causes a huge performance gain on my machine. For my big
mailboxes now the time for gnus-group-get-new-news is only 0.3s.

Unfortunately I don't have a working installation of latest gnus
sources. I used:
GNU Emacs 22.1.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.6.4) of 2007-06-09 on rhada

Therefore I attached a tar file containing my patch and two dirs: "old"
contains the version i based my work on. "new" contains my patch.

Please take a look at it. For me this delay was a major flaw in my
daily work with nnmaildir. It would be great if a change like this
could be integrated into gnus/emacs.

Thanks for your attention,
  Christian

[-- Attachment #2: patch-performance-nnmaildir-request-update-info.tar.gz --]

* Re: nnmaildir: Performance in nnmaildir-request-update-info
@ 2007-12-02  0:32 ` Paul Jarc
From: Paul Jarc @ 2007-12-02  0:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christian Plate; +Cc: ding

Christian Plate <cplate@web.de> wrote:
> I changed the implementation to collect all article numbers in a list
> and then call gnus-add-to-range only once with that list of article
> numbers.

Looks good to me.  Can you also provide a ChangeLog entry?

> Therefore I attached a tar file containing my patch and two dirs: "old"
> contains the version i based my work on. "new" contains my patch.

Attaching just the diff is easiest to handle.

paul

* Re: nnmaildir: Performance in nnmaildir-request-update-info
@ 2007-12-02 11:51   ` Christian Plate
From: Christian Plate @ 2007-12-02 11:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Jarc; +Cc: ding

> Looks good to me.  Can you also provide a ChangeLog entry?

2007-12-02  Christian Plate  <cplate@web.de>

        * nnmaildir.el (nnmaildir-request-update-info): Improved
        performance. Call gnus-add-to-range ranges only once with a prepared
        article-list.

Regards,
  Christian

* Re: nnmaildir: Performance in nnmaildir-request-update-info
@ 2007-12-06  5:51     ` Paul Jarc
From: Paul Jarc @ 2007-12-06  5:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christian Plate; +Cc: ding

Christian Plate <cplate@web.de> wrote:
>> Looks good to me.  Can you also provide a ChangeLog entry?
>
> 2007-12-02  Christian Plate  <cplate@web.de>

I've committed it, with some tweaks.

paul