From: Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com>
Cc: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: spam.el and missing functions
Date: Tue, 08 Oct 2002 10:42:22 -0400	[thread overview]

On Tue, 08 Oct 2002, yamaoka@jpl.org wrote:
> When compiling spam.el, Emacs complaints about missing functions:
>
> Emacs 20.7:
>   ** The following functions are not known to be defined:
>     bbdb-search, bbdb-records, locate-file,
>     display-message-or-buffer
>
> Emacs 21.2:
>   ** The following functions are not known to be defined:
>     bbdb-search, bbdb-records, locate-file
>
> Emacs 21.3.50: spam.el:544:11:Warning: the following functions are
> not known to be defined: bbdb-search, bbdb-records
>
> XEmacs 21.4.10:
>   ** The following functions are not known to be defined:
>     bbdb-search, bbdb-records, display-message-or-buffer

(summary: BBDB problems fixed, I need help with locate-file and
display-message-or-buffer)

locate-file is used by this code:

;; FIXME!  I do not know if Gnus has a compatibility function for
;; `executable-find'.  Here is a possible mantra for portability,
;; until Lars decides how we really should do it.
(unless (fboundp 'executable-find)
  (if (fboundp 'locate-file)
      (defun executable-find (command)
	(locate-file command exec-path))
    (autoload 'executable-find "executable")))
;; End of portability mantra for `executable-find'.

(defvar spam-bogofilter-path (executable-find "bogofilter")
  "File path of the Bogofilter executable program.
Force this variable to nil if you want to inhibit the functionality.")

I would appreciate suggestions, I don't know the right way to fix this.

I fixed the BBDB errors with:

;; BBDB autoloads
(autoload 'bbdb-search "bbdb-com")
(autoload 'bbdb-records "bbdb-com")

The display-message-or-buffer function is used by this function:

(defun spam-bogofilter-score ()
  "Use `bogofilter -v' on the current article.
This yields the 15 most discriminant words for this article and the
spamicity coefficient of each, and the overall article spamicity."
  (interactive)
  (when (and spam-use-bogofilter spam-bogofilter-path)
    (spam-bogofilter-articles nil "-v" (list (gnus-summary-article-number)))
    (save-excursion
      (set-buffer spam-output-buffer-name)
      (unless (= (point-min) (point-max))
	(display-message-or-buffer (current-buffer)
				   spam-output-buffer-name)))))

Any suggestions?  display-message-or-buffer is in the simple.el
package, but I don't know what to use instead of it.

Thanks
Ted