* git log messages on the www.gnus.org front page?
@ 2010-09-04 23:44 Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2010-09-04 23:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

It'd be nice to have, say, the last 10 Gnus git commit messages on the
www.gnus.org front page.  Is that difficult to do?  Does gitweb have
something that...  does that?  Like?

I've now changed www.gnus.org to point to quimby.gnus.org, but it'll
take a while for the DNS changes to spread...

* Re: git log messages on the www.gnus.org front page?
@ 2010-09-04 23:49 ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2010-09-04 23:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Sun, 05 Sep 2010 01:44:01 +0200, Lars wrote:

> It'd be nice to have, say, the last 10 Gnus git commit messages on the
> www.gnus.org front page.  Is that difficult to do?  Does gitweb have
> something that...  does that?  Like?

Cut something out of this page:

 * http://git.gnus.org/cgit/gnus.git/log/

... or?

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "I'm not sure it never causes any harm to all users."        Adam Sjøgren
                                                         asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: git log messages on the www.gnus.org front page?
@ 2010-09-04 23:54   ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2010-09-04 23:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Cut something out of this page:
>
>  * http://git.gnus.org/cgit/gnus.git/log/

But how?

* Re: git log messages on the www.gnus.org front page?
@ 2010-09-05  2:34     ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2010-09-05  2:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Sun, 05 Sep 2010 01:54:14 +0200 Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> wrote:

LMI> asjo@koldfront.dk (Adam Sjøgren) writes:
>> Cut something out of this page:
>>
>> * http://git.gnus.org/cgit/gnus.git/log/

LMI> But how?

The easy way is with an IFRAME but it looks bad.

Another way is to ammend the post-receive hook to modify the front page
somehow, or to write to a secondary file that's included in the front
page with PHP or whatever.  It's probably easier and safer to do the
secondary file.

Ted

* Re: git log messages on the www.gnus.org front page?
@ 2010-09-05  2:45       ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2010-09-05  2:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Sat, 04 Sep 2010 21:34:24 -0500 Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> wrote:

TZ> Another way is to ammend the post-receive hook to modify the front page
TZ> somehow, or to write to a secondary file that's included in the front
TZ> page with PHP or whatever.  It's probably easier and safer to do the
TZ> secondary file.

That reminds me, we can also have it trigger a redeployment of the
manual's HTML pages when there's a commit to the texi/ directory.  So
the page http://www.gnus.org/manual.html needs to be changed a little
bit but otherwise this is pretty easy.

Ted

* Re: git log messages on the www.gnus.org front page?
@ 2010-09-05  6:11   ` Julien Danjou
From: Julien Danjou @ 2010-09-05  6:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Sun, Sep 05 2010, Adam Sjøgren wrote:

>  * http://git.gnus.org/cgit/gnus.git/log/  ... or?

Use the Atom feed?

    http://git.gnus.org/cgit/gnus.git/atom/?h=master

--
Julien Danjou
// ᐰ <julien@danjou.info>   http://julien.danjou.info

* Re: git log messages on the www.gnus.org front page?
@ 2010-09-05  8:17     ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2010-09-05  8:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Sun, 05 Sep 2010 08:11:34 +0200 Julien Danjou <julien@danjou.info> wrote:

JD> On Sun, Sep 05 2010, Adam Sjøgren wrote:
>> * http://git.gnus.org/cgit/gnus.git/log/  ... or?

JD> Use the Atom feed?

JD>    http://git.gnus.org/cgit/gnus.git/atom/?h=master

That's much more expensive that a post-receive append if it's called
every time someone visits the front page.  If it's not, then we may as
well do it with the post-receive append because it's always run at
exactly the right time.

Ted

* Re: git log messages on the www.gnus.org front page?
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2010-09-05 11:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> The easy way is with an IFRAME but it looks bad.

I could just write up some PHP that calls out to a gitweb page, strip
off all the stuff I don't want, and then just output the rest...

> Another way is to ammend the post-receive hook to modify the front page
> somehow, or to write to a secondary file that's included in the front
> page with PHP or whatever.  It's probably easier and safer to do the
> secondary file.

If you could write a hook that just...  let's see...  yeah, that just
does a

"curl -o /tmp/gnus-git.html http://git.gnus.org/cgit/gnus.git/log/"

on Quimby, then I can have the Gnus front page parse that from PHP.
That should be pretty safe and fast.

* Re: git log messages on the www.gnus.org front page?
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2010-09-05 11:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> That reminds me, we can also have it trigger a redeployment of the
> manual's HTML pages when there's a commit to the texi/ directory.  So
> the page http://www.gnus.org/manual.html needs to be changed a little
> bit but otherwise this is pretty easy.

Yeah, that'd be nice.

* Re: git log messages on the www.gnus.org front page?
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2010-09-05 11:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> If you could write a hook that just...  let's see...  yeah, that just
> does a
>
> "curl -o /tmp/gnus-git.html http://git.gnus.org/cgit/gnus.git/log/"

Kinda like:

http://gnus.org/index.php

but with more, er, design.

However, the "8 hours" stuff gets less and less accurate as time goes
by.  So perhaps I should just set up a cron job that does the curl call
every ten minutes?  Yeah, I'll do that.

* Re: git log messages on the www.gnus.org front page?
@ 2010-09-05 14:24           ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2010-09-05 14:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Got a 404 on that one.  http://gnus.org worked, though.

* Re: git log messages on the www.gnus.org front page?
@ 2010-09-05 14:25             ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2010-09-05 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Steinar Bang <sb@dod.no> writes:

>> http://gnus.org/index.php
>
> Got a 404 on that one.  http://gnus.org worked, though.

Yes, I just renamed it to index.html, since that's what things point
at.

* Re: git log messages on the www.gnus.org front page?
@ 2010-09-06 12:36           ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2010-09-06 12:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

[now just http://gnus.org]

LMI> but with more, er, design.

Can you put all the web site code in the Gnus git repo so I (or others)
can make the following changes without tying you up?  Also some sort of
auto-deploy from there to the live site would be nice (I can set that up
in post-receive if you're not afraid).

LMI> However, the "8 hours" stuff gets less and less accurate as time goes
LMI> by.  So perhaps I should just set up a cron job that does the curl call
LMI> every ten minutes?  Yeah, I'll do that.

Further work:

Add a link to the Git repo in http://gnus.org/resources.html

Add same link on the front page, right before the Git log table.

http://git.gnus.org/ and http://gnus.org/distribution.html have outdated
info about the Git e-mails.  The latter should just have a link to the
former instead of duplicating the information.

http://gnus.org/contrib.html should mention BBDB, org-mode, and
emacs-w3m among others

Ted

* Re: git log messages on the www.gnus.org front page?
@ 2010-09-06 15:04             ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2010-09-06 15:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> Can you put all the web site code in the Gnus git repo so I (or others)
> can make the following changes without tying you up?  Also some sort of
> auto-deploy from there to the live site would be nice (I can set that up
> in post-receive if you're not afraid).

I'm not sure how to do that in git.  Can you add it to the repo?

* Re: git log messages on the www.gnus.org front page?
@ 2010-09-06 15:32               ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2010-09-06 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Mon, 06 Sep 2010 17:04:19 +0200 Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> wrote:

LMI> Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:
>> Can you put all the web site code in the Gnus git repo so I (or others)
>> can make the following changes without tying you up?  Also some sort of
>> auto-deploy from there to the live site would be nice (I can set that up
>> in post-receive if you're not afraid).

LMI> I'm not sure how to do that in git.  Can you add it to the repo?

Look in quimby:/home/tzz/gnus-html (currently a clone of the entire site
except files named "*~") and let me know if anything should not be in
the repo.  FWIW I'd keep everything, including the release tarballs.

Ted

* Re: git log messages on the www.gnus.org front page?
@ 2010-09-06 20:05                 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2010-09-06 20:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> Look in quimby:/home/tzz/gnus-html (currently a clone of the entire site
> except files named "*~") and let me know if anything should not be in
> the repo.  FWIW I'd keep everything, including the release tarballs.

Hm...  won't that make "git clone" and stuff quite slow?  Oh, it's not
that big.  Go ahead.

* Re: git log messages on the www.gnus.org front page?
@ 2010-09-07  1:19                   ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2010-09-07  1:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Mon, 06 Sep 2010 22:05:59 +0200 Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> wrote:

LMI> Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:
>> Look in quimby:/home/tzz/gnus-html (currently a clone of the entire site
>> except files named "*~") and let me know if anything should not be in
>> the repo.  FWIW I'd keep everything, including the release tarballs.

LMI> Hm...  won't that make "git clone" and stuff quite slow?  Oh, it's not
LMI> that big.  Go ahead.

It's available in https://git.gnus.org/gnus-html.git or
http://git.gnus.org/gnus-html.git (r+w or read-only as usual).
http://git.gnus.org/cgit/ will show both repos and also
http://git.gnus.org mentions them both now.

The e-mails work too, with a different prefix.  Let me know if you're
happy with it and I'll set up a deployment script (which we can
eventually run automatically from post-receive if you want).  We also
need to work out the manual sync into the HTML repo but I'm done for
tonight :)

Ted

* Re: git log messages on the www.gnus.org front page?
@ 2010-09-07  1:43                     ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2010-09-07  1:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> It's available in https://git.gnus.org/gnus-html.git or
> http://git.gnus.org/gnus-html.git (r+w or read-only as usual).
> http://git.gnus.org/cgit/ will show both repos and also
> http://git.gnus.org mentions them both now.

Hm:

[larsi@quimbies ~/src]$ git clone https://git.gnus.org/gnus-html.git
Initialized empty Git repository in /home/larsi/src/gnus-html/.git/
error: server certificate verification failed. CAfile: /etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt CRLfile: none while accessing https://git.gnus.org/gnus-html.git/info/refs

fatal: HTTP request failed

* Re: git log messages on the www.gnus.org front page?
@ 2010-09-07  2:44                       ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2010-09-07  2:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Tue, 07 Sep 2010 03:43:14 +0200 Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> wrote:

LMI> Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:
>> It's available in https://git.gnus.org/gnus-html.git or
>> http://git.gnus.org/gnus-html.git (r+w or read-only as usual).
>> http://git.gnus.org/cgit/ will show both repos and also
>> http://git.gnus.org mentions them both now.

LMI> Hm:

LMI> [larsi@quimbies ~/src]$ git clone https://git.gnus.org/gnus-html.git
LMI> Initialized empty Git repository in /home/larsi/src/gnus-html/.git/
LMI> error: server certificate verification failed. CAfile: /etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt CRLfile: none while accessing https://git.gnus.org/gnus-html.git/info/refs

LMI> fatal: HTTP request failed

See http://git.gnus.org/ instructions, specifically GIT_SSL_NO_VERIFY=1
and then `git config http.sslVerify false'

This connects with the old request to get a valid SSL certificate for
*.gnus.org (at least gnus.org, www.gnus.org, and git.gnus.org) to avoid
this error.  They are free for open-source projects from GoDaddy IIRC.

Ted

* Re: git log messages on the www.gnus.org front page?
@ 2010-09-07 15:25                         ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2010-09-07 15:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> See http://git.gnus.org/ instructions, specifically GIT_SSL_NO_VERIFY=1
> and then `git config http.sslVerify false'

Oh, I see.  I thought the "git config" thing was global, so that you
didn't have to specify the NO_VERIFY thing per project.

Now it works.

> This connects with the old request to get a valid SSL certificate for
> *.gnus.org (at least gnus.org, www.gnus.org, and git.gnus.org) to avoid
> this error.  They are free for open-source projects from GoDaddy IIRC.

Right.

* Re: git log messages on the www.gnus.org front page?
@ 2010-09-07 15:43                           ` Lawrence Mitchell
From: Lawrence Mitchell @ 2010-09-07 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen wrote:
> Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

>> See http://git.gnus.org/ instructions, specifically GIT_SSL_NO_VERIFY=1
>> and then `git config http.sslVerify false'

> Oh, I see.  I thought the "git config" thing was global, so that you
> didn't have to specify the NO_VERIFY thing per project.

git config --global is global.  I presume so you have to
explicitly work to pollute all configurations, rather than just a
repository configuration, with extraneous bumf.

[...]

Lawrence
--
Lawrence Mitchell <wence@gmx.li>

* Re: git log messages on the www.gnus.org front page?
@ 2010-09-07 16:06                             ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2010-09-07 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Lawrence Mitchell <wence@gmx.li> writes:

> git config --global is global.  I presume so you have to
> explicitly work to pollute all configurations, rather than just a
> repository configuration, with extraneous bumf.

Makes sense.