* xdg-open
@ 2009-03-13 12:13 Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2009-03-13 12:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hi,

On Fedora 10, Gnus passes all image/* MIME parts to xdg-open,
that is the bash script, for displaying externally because of
the /etc/mailcap entry:

image/*; /usr/bin/xdg-open %s

It works if using it manually like: xdg-open image.png
In that case, the eog command is used for displaying the image
file.  However, in Gnus it simply ends up immediately with no
displaying.  So far I don't know why it won't do.  Instead, I
added this one to the ~/.gnus.el file to remove xdg-open from
`mailcap-mime-data':

(mailcap-parse-mailcaps)

(dolist (major mailcap-mime-data)
  (dolist (minor (cdr major))
    (when (equal (cdr (assoc 'viewer (cdr minor)))
		 "/usr/bin/xdg-open %s")
      (delq minor major))))

It's not a good idea, though.

Regards,

* Re: xdg-open
@ 2009-03-17  2:33 ` Michael Baer
From: Michael Baer @ 2009-03-17  2:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Katsumi Yamaoka; +Cc: ding

    Katsumi> Hi, On Fedora 10, Gnus passes all image/* MIME parts to
    Katsumi> xdg-open, that is the bash script, for displaying
    Katsumi> externally because of the /etc/mailcap entry:

    Katsumi> image/*; /usr/bin/xdg-open %s

    Katsumi> It works if using it manually like: xdg-open image.png
    Katsumi> In that case, the eog command is used for displaying
    Katsumi> the image file.  However, in Gnus it simply ends up
    Katsumi> immediately with no displaying.  So far I don't know
    Katsumi> why it won't do.  Instead, I added this one to the
    Katsumi> ~/.gnus.el file to remove xdg-open from
    Katsumi> `mailcap-mime-data':

I had this problem under gnome (although not kde).  I believe it
dies because the child process, gnome-open, dies when the parent
process, xdg-open, finishes.  I did a hacky remedy of adding
'setsid' before gnome-open in the xdg-open script.  Since it works
okay from the command line though (and it does for me as well),
there may be something changeable within emacs/gnus that could fix
it.

-Mike

--
Michael Baer