* Selective HTML rendering using group parameters
@ 2006-03-15  5:59 Nelson Ferreira
From: Nelson Ferreira @ 2006-03-15  5:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

I came across a weird issue regarding group-parameters and
"group-local" variables.

I have the following in my gnus:

,---- .gnus ----
| (setq
|  mm-automatic-display (remove "text/html" mm-automatic-display)
|  mm-discouraged-alternatives '("text/html" "text/richtext" "text/enriched" "multipart/related")
|  )
`----

in order to have HTML rendering off by default.
However there are some mailing lists I subscribed where the HTML is
well-formed enough (and there is no option for text-only :( ) where I
wanted to enable html rendering by default on those groups.

So I tried the following in the group parameters of one of the groups
with "good" HTML:

,---- group parameters ---
| ((mm-automatic-display
|   (append
|    (list "text/html")
|    mm-automatic-display))
|  (mm-discouraged-alternatives
|   (remove "text/html"
|           (remove "multipart/related" mm-discouraged-alternatives))))
`----

Sure enough if I press space from the *Group* buffer, the HTML in the
message is rendered, and it so happens in all other messages in that
"summary buffer session" .

However, if no message is immediately rendered (I press ENTER or only
ticked articles are in the summary buffer) then when the article is
shown, the HTML is not rendered.

I looked at the value of both mm-automatic-display and
mm-discouraged-alternatives and it looks like that if upon entering
the group the article buffer is created then their values are the one
coming from the group parameters, otherwise the defaults (i.e. from
.gnus) are used.

Is there any way to make sure that the group parameter set values for
variables are always transported to the article buffer regardless of
the moment in time it is created ?

Thanks,

        Nelson

PS: To save you from looking up the User Agent, I am using SXEmacs
22.1.4 and No Gnus v0.4

--
Nelson Ferreira