* Emacs markup language
@ 2004-05-18 13:07 Per Abrahamsen
From: Per Abrahamsen @ 2004-05-18 13:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

The problem of *not* using w3 for saints is that one have to invent
another markup language, and who want yet another markup language?

But Emacs (and GNU) already has its own simple markup language, namely
Texinfo (it also has info, but info sucks as a markup language, so
let's forget that).  So maybe the way to go would be to create a
texi-browser extended with embedded Emacs Lisp and saint-specific
tags.  We might even start with the "embedded Emacs Lisp and
saint-specific tags", but in a "may eventually grow into a
texi-browser" forward thinking way.

* Re: Emacs markup language
@ 2004-05-18 14:30 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2004-05-18 14:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Per Abrahamsen <abraham@dina.kvl.dk> writes:

> But Emacs (and GNU) already has its own simple markup language, namely
> Texinfo (it also has info, but info sucks as a markup language, so
> let's forget that).

That's an idea...  let's see

@title Configuring Gnus for reading news
@node Server name and port
@variable server :string (gnus-getenv-nntpserver)
@variable port :number 119
@validate
(let ((stream
        (condition-case err
           (open-network-stream "nntpd" nil server port)
          (error (setq error err)))))
   (if (memq (process-status stream) '(open run))
       (progn
         (delete-process stream)
         t)
     nil)))
@end validate
@result gnus-select-method (list server port)
@text
To read Usenet news with Gnus, you first have to tell
Gnus where the news server is.

The server name is @variable{server}; port number @variable{port}.
@end text

That was kinda pleasant to write, actually, and it's readable (and
therefore maintainable).

And when there's a branch (when setting up mail, between pop and
file, say), we could have

@next Pop
@next Local file access

with different nodes called that, of course.

And each assistant would be in its own file, so that'd be the "name
space" that we're talking about.  .ass probably isn't the best suffix
to use, though.  .ast?  .fry?

* Re: Emacs markup language
@ 2004-05-18 15:08   ` Jonas Steverud
From: Jonas Steverud @ 2004-05-18 15:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Per Abrahamsen <abraham@dina.kvl.dk> writes:
>
>> But Emacs (and GNU) already has its own simple markup language, namely
>> Texinfo (it also has info, but info sucks as a markup language, so
>> let's forget that).
>
> That's an idea...

How about XML?

You get something (the best?) from both worlds, you get to define
your own parts and still use a standard mark-up language...

--
(        http://hem.bredband.net/steverud/        !     Wei Wu Wei     )
(        Meaning of U2 Lyrics, Roleplaying        !  To Do Without Do  )

* Re: Emacs markup language
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2004-05-18 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jonas Steverud <tvrud@bredband.net> writes:

> How about XML?

XML is ugly.

<node>Setting up the news server</node>

is more unpleasant than

@ 2004-05-18 15:41       ` Timothy Brown
From: Timothy Brown @ 2004-05-18 15:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, May 18, 2004 at 05:16:29PM +0200, Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen wrote:

> XML is ugly.
>
> <node>Setting up the news server</node>
>
> is more unpleasant than
>
> @node Setting up the news server

I know i'm walking dangerous ground here, but this is a matter of
opinion.  XML is easier to parse and has the benefit of flexibility
and pre-existing tools in order to transfer it to other formats...
Not that Texinfo doesn't.

Tim

* Re: Emacs markup language
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2004-05-18 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Timothy Brown <tim@tux.org> writes:

> I know i'm walking dangerous ground here, but this is a matter of
> opinion.  XML is easier to parse and has the benefit of flexibility
> and pre-existing tools in order to transfer it to other formats...
> Not that Texinfo doesn't.

XML is easy to parse, but what's important here is what's easy to
write.  Parsing is done by computers.  They deserve the pain.

* Group renaming doesn't rename score files
@ 2004-05-18 18:25   ` Max Froumentin
From: Max Froumentin @ 2004-05-18 18:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

That's basically it: G-r renames the group fine but doesn't rename the
score files that apply to the group. Also, it would be great if
nnmail-split-methods was updated too, actually.

Max.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 188 bytes --]

* Re: Emacs markup language
@ 2004-05-18 18:41           ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2004-05-18 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 18 May 2004, larsi@gnus.org wrote:

> Timothy Brown <tim@tux.org> writes:
>
>> I know i'm walking dangerous ground here, but this is a matter of
>> opinion.  XML is easier to parse and has the benefit of flexibility
>> and pre-existing tools in order to transfer it to other formats...
>> Not that Texinfo doesn't.
>
> XML is easy to parse, but what's important here is what's easy to
> write.  Parsing is done by computers.  They deserve the pain.

Emacs support for XML is not as good as Texinfo support, in my
experience (I've done both).  In addition, XML, just like SGML and
HTML, is hard to debug when something goes wrong.  I vote against
XML.

Ted

* Re: Emacs markup language
@ 2004-05-18 19:05             ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2004-05-18 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Ted Zlatanov" <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> Emacs support for XML is not as good as Texinfo support, in my
> experience (I've done both).

What does the Emacs TeXinfo parser do?  I mean, how easy would it be
to extend it to parse the assistants?

* Re: Emacs markup language
@ 2004-05-18 19:07       ` Norman Walsh
From: Norman Walsh @ 2004-05-18 19:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

/ Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> was heard to say:
| Jonas Steverud <tvrud@bredband.net> writes:
|
|> How about XML?
|
| XML is ugly.
|
| <node>Setting up the news server</node>
|
| is more unpleasant than
|
| @node Setting up the news server

Unpleasant for whom? I have a whole library of tools that'll let me do
useful things with XML.

I vote for XML, but you could have guessed that :-)

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

--
Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> | We measure the excellency of other men,
http://nwalsh.com/            | by some excellency we conceive to be in

@ 2004-05-18 20:27               ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2004-05-18 20:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 18 May 2004, larsi@gnus.org wrote:

> "Ted Zlatanov" <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:
>
>> Emacs support for XML is not as good as Texinfo support, in my
>> experience (I've done both).
>
> What does the Emacs TeXinfo parser do?  I mean, how easy would it be
> to extend it to parse the assistants?

Looking at texinfo.el, it's not too complex, but I would check with
emacs-devel and see if anybody is interested in helping with the
mode.  I'm sure this sort of interactive assistant will be of
interest to many Emacs developers.

Ted

* Re: Emacs markup language
@ 2004-05-18 20:45                 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2004-05-18 20:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Ted Zlatanov" <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> Looking at texinfo.el, it's not too complex, but I would check with
> emacs-devel and see if anybody is interested in helping with the
> mode.  I'm sure this sort of interactive assistant will be of
> interest to many Emacs developers.

I'll give them a heads up.

* Re: Emacs markup language
@ 2004-05-19 15:16         ` Manoj Srivastava
                             ` (2 more replies)
From: Manoj Srivastava @ 2004-05-19 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

On Tue, 18 May 2004 15:07:18 -0400, Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> said:

> Unpleasant for whom? I have a whole library of tools that'll let me
> do useful things with XML.

	Could you share the names of the tools you use to author XML?
 I use psgml, but it has been in semi-stasis for years now, and has
 no support for schemas.  I do like the context sensitive tag and
 attribute insertion for arbitrary DTD's in psgml.

	manoj
--
A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still.  --
Butler

* Re: Emacs markup language
@ 2004-05-19 18:12           ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2004-05-19 18:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

On Wed, 19 May 2004, srivasta@acm.org wrote:

> On Tue, 18 May 2004 15:07:18 -0400, Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> said:
>
>> Unpleasant for whom? I have a whole library of tools that'll let me
>> do useful things with XML.
>
> 	Could you share the names of the tools you use to author XML?
>  I use psgml, but it has been in semi-stasis for years now, and has
>  no support for schemas.  I do like the context sensitive tag and
>  attribute insertion for arbitrary DTD's in psgml.

(OT, sorry!)

I have used XAE and it was OK for XML work, when you have to do it in
Emacs.

Ted

* Re: Emacs markup language
@ 2004-05-19 20:36             ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2004-05-19 20:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On Wed, 19 May 2004, srivasta@acm.org wrote:
>> On Tue, 18 May 2004 15:07:18 -0400, Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> said:

>>> Unpleasant for whom? I have a whole library of tools that'll let me
>>> do useful things with XML.

>> Could you share the names of the tools you use to author XML?  I
>> use psgml, but it has been in semi-stasis for years now, and has no
>> support for schemas.  I do like the context sensitive tag and
>> attribute insertion for arbitrary DTD's in psgml.

> (OT, sorry!)
(more OT coming up)

> I have used XAE and it was OK for XML work, when you have to do it
> in Emacs.

The editing functionality of XAE is psgml.  I find it quite powerful
(at least when it has a DTD for the format being edited).

There's a new, maintained, XML mode under development:
	http://www.xmlhack.com/read.php?item=2061

* Re: Group renaming doesn't rename score files
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2004-05-19 23:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Max Froumentin <max@lapin-bleu.net> writes:

> That's basically it: G-r renames the group fine but doesn't rename the
> score files that apply to the group. Also, it would be great if
> nnmail-split-methods was updated too, actually.

It doesn't rename the cache or Agent stuff, either.

Getting group renames to rename everything related to the group is a
major piece of work.

* Re: Group renaming doesn't rename score files
@ 2004-05-20  3:36       ` Kevin Greiner
From: Kevin Greiner @ 2004-05-20  3:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Max Froumentin <max@lapin-bleu.net> writes:
>
>> That's basically it: G-r renames the group fine but doesn't rename the
>> score files that apply to the group. Also, it would be great if
>> nnmail-split-methods was updated too, actually.
>
> It doesn't rename the cache or Agent stuff, either.
>
> Getting group renames to rename everything related to the group is a
> major piece of work.

Actually, it wasn't that hard.  I added it a few weeks ago when I
added article moving to both the agent and cache.  Fairly nice except
that I forgot about the score files.  Hmmm... I wonder what else I
forgot :).

Rather busy this week, I'll try to get to it next week.

Kevin

* Re: Group renaming doesn't rename score files
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2004-05-20 16:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kevin Greiner <kgreiner@xpediantsolutions.com> writes:

> Actually, it wasn't that hard.  I added it a few weeks ago when I
> added article moving to both the agent and cache.

Oh, cool.  :-)

> Fairly nice except that I forgot about the score files.  Hmmm... I
> wonder what else I forgot :).
>
> Rather busy this week, I'll try to get to it next week.

Great.

* Re: Emacs markup language
@ 2004-05-20 21:24           ` Kai Grossjohann
                               ` (2 more replies)
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 2004-05-20 21:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@acm.org> writes:

> 	Could you share the names of the tools you use to author XML?

I hear that nXML by James Clark is very good; I haven't had time yet
to try it.

It works with RelaxNG instead of XML Schema -- not sure whether
that's an advantage of a disadvantage...

Kai

* Re: Emacs markup language
@ 2004-05-21  5:41             ` Alex Ott
From: Alex Ott @ 2004-05-21  5:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

 KG> Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@acm.org> writes:
 >> Could you share the names of the tools you use to author XML?

 KG> I hear that nXML by James Clark is very good; I haven't had time yet
 KG> to try it.

It's really good - it not so heavy as psgml and works fine. i heavily use
it in my works, mostly for documentation in DocBook XML

--
With best wishes, Alex Ott
Jet Infosystems,       http://www.jetinfosoft.ru/

* Re: Emacs markup language
@ 2004-05-21 14:06             ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2004-05-21 14:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

On Thu, 20 May 2004, kai@emptydomain.de wrote:

> Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@acm.org> writes:
>
>> 	Could you share the names of the tools you use to author XML?
>
> I hear that nXML by James Clark is very good; I haven't had time yet
> to try it.
>
> It works with RelaxNG instead of XML Schema -- not sure whether
> that's an advantage of a disadvantage...

I don't think RelaxNG is a problem, since you can convert to DTD and
back easily.

For me nXML crashed Emacs after C-h m.  I'm running the CVS version of
Emacs so that may be the reason, I'll follow up in the appropriate
lists.

Thanks
Ted

* Re: Emacs markup language
@ 2004-05-24 18:06           ` Norman Walsh
From: Norman Walsh @ 2004-05-24 18:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

/ Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@acm.org> was heard to say:
| On Tue, 18 May 2004 15:07:18 -0400, Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> said:
|
|> Unpleasant for whom? I have a whole library of tools that'll let me
|> do useful things with XML.
|
| 	Could you share the names of the tools you use to author XML?
|  I use psgml, but it has been in semi-stasis for years now, and has
|  no support for schemas.  I do like the context sensitive tag and
|  attribute insertion for arbitrary DTD's in psgml.

Mostly I use rnc-mode now and RELAX NG. http://www.relaxng.org/

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

--