From: Ted Zlatanov <tzz@northernlight.com>
Cc: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: custom function to modify Gcc
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2001 16:22:07 -0400	[thread overview]

> prj@po.cwru.edu (Paul Jarc) writes:

>> Check out the "Archived Messages" node in the manual; you can include
>> a function in the value of gnus-message-archivegroup or
>> gnus-outgoing-message-group to decide how to set Gcc.  You can also
>> use posting styles to set Gcc; see the "Posting Styles" node.
>
> This, however, takes place when setting up the message buffer.  But
> maybe Ted wants to do stuff after typing in the Subject header and
> stuff?  So it would be useful to have something in message-send-hook.
> Maybe header-action.el (by Holger Schauer, I think) is your friend,
> Ted?

Kai is right, I want the Gcc header to be rewritten when the message
is being sent.  The archiving functionality of Gnus seems to be on the
preparation side, which is OK for most users.

I got header-action.el from
http://www.coling.uni-freiburg.de/~schauer/resources/emacs/header-action.el.gz

It's not immediately obvious to me how to activate it the way I want.
Should it be something like (after loading the lib and adding the
hook)

(setq header-action-list
      '(("Subject:"
         (".*status report.*"
          (lambda()
           (save-excursion
            (mail-position-on-field "Gcc")
            (insert ",status") ; there already is an archive entry here
            ))))))

I use message.el, so I'm not sure whether mail-position-on-field will
work, or if I'm doing the right thing.

Any help is appreciated.  I am definitely not a Lisp programmer.

Thanks
Ted