* plugged/unplugged changes scenery
@ 1999-07-13  2:07 Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 1999-07-13  2:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've mass posted this message in dozens of related groups.  Namely
gnus.emacs.gnus and here...

Anyone else get annoyed by forgetting they are unplugged and doing things
like sending mail or pressing "g" ?  Anyone else think the messaged in
mode line isn't very noticable?..

Well here's a wild idea...Some lisp wizard designs some code that is a
function for toggling "plug/unplugged" but with this difference.  This
toggle will call a command in the OS that will set a different
background to root window, when unplugged.  Users can have all kinds
of silly things for wallpaper when unplugged.  "Skull and cross" bones
may be popular.  I've already designed a large blinking gif with a
Lars like countenance that says " Heads up Dude, you are unplugged"
in a load brazen voice.

* Re: plugged/unplugged changes scenery
@ 1999-07-13 18:04 ` Bruce Stephens
From: Bruce Stephens @ 1999-07-13 18:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Well here's a wild idea...Some lisp wizard designs some code that is
> a function for toggling "plug/unplugged" but with this difference.
> This toggle will call a command in the OS that will set a different
> background to root window, when unplugged.

Yes.  Not the root window---just change the background of the default
face (or of all the faces that Gnus uses in the *Groups* buffer).
That ought to be straightforward, and can be as garish or subtle as
users might want it to be.