* yet another ebola warning (pgnus 0.42)
@ 1998-11-11 21:55 Gunnar Evermann
From: Gunnar Evermann @ 1998-11-11 21:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

This one happens when I try to change the date display (e.g. menu
Article->Date->Local). The article involved had the following Date
line:

Date: 11 Nov 1998 11:27:17 -0000

This is "Pterodactyl Gnus v0.42" on "21.2 \"Aglaia\" XEmacs Lucid
(beta3)"

 Comparison between integer and character is constant nil (?0 and -1)
   [parse-time-tokenize, parse-time-string, byte-code, date-to-time, article-make-date-line, article-date-ut, <compiled-function of unknown origin>, call-interactively, if, save-excursion, (lambda (&optional interactive &rest args) "Convert the current article date to the local timezone." (interactive (list t)) (save-excursion (set-buffer gnus-article-buffer) (if interactive (call-interactively (quote article-date-local)) (apply (quote article-date-local) args)))), call-interactively]

--
    Gunnar Evermann
Speech, Vision & Robotics Group

* Re: yet another ebola warning (pgnus 0.42)
@ 1998-11-13 18:58 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-11-13 18:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Gunnar Evermann <ge204@eng.cam.ac.uk> writes:

>  Comparison between integer and character is constant nil (?0 and -1)
>    [parse-time-tokenize, parse-time-string, byte-code, date-to-time, article-make-date-line, article-date-ut, <compiled-function of unknown origin>, call-interactively, if, save-excursion, (lambda (&optional interactive &rest args) "Convert the current article date to the local timezone." (interactive (list t)) (save-excursion (set-buffer gnus-article-buffer) (if interactive (call-interactively (quote article-date-local)) (apply (quote article-date-local) args)))), call-interactively]

What thing in that function is triggering this warning?

* Re: yet another ebola warning (pgnus 0.42)
@ 1998-11-13 21:26   ` G. Evermann
From: G. Evermann @ 1998-11-13 21:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Gunnar Evermann <ge204@eng.cam.ac.uk> writes:
>
> >  Comparison between integer and character is constant nil (?0 and -1)
> >    [parse-time-tokenize, parse-time-string, byte-code, date-to-time, article-make-date-line, article-date
-ut, <compiled-function of unknown origin>, call-interactively, if, save-excursion, (lambda (&optional intera
ctive &rest args) "Convert the current article date to the local timezone." (interactive (list t)) (save-excu
rsion (set-buffer gnus-article-buffer) (if interactive (call-interactively (quote article-date-local)) (apply
 (quote article-date-local) args)))), call-interactively]

> What thing in that function is triggering this warning?

Sorry, I guess I could have been more helpful...

The warning is triggered in parse-time-tokenize in the following loop
or the one after that:

      (while (and (< index end)         ;skip invalid characters
                  (not (setq c (parse-time-string-chars (aref string index)))))
        (incf index))
      (setq start index all-digits (eq c ?0))

The value of parse-time-syntax is:

[nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil
nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil
nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil 1 nil -1 nil nil ?0 ?0 ?0 ?0 ?0 ?0
?0 ?0 ?0 ?0 ?d nil nil nil nil nil nil ?A ?A ?A ?A ?A ?A ?A ?A ?A ?A
?A ?A ?A ?A ?A ?A ?A ?A ?A ?A ?A ?A ?A ?A ?A ?A nil nil nil nil nil
nil ?a ?a ?a ?a ?a ?a ?a ?a ?a ?a ?a ?a ?a ?a ?a ?a ?a ?a ?a ?a ?a ?a
?a ?a ?a ?a nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil
nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil
nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil
nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil
nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil
nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil
nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil
nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil]

the culprit obviously is at parse-time.el:60

  (aset parse-time-syntax ?- -1)

As metioned the problem only happens when a message contains a
timezone like -0000

HTH

  Gunnar

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-11-13 22:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

ge204@eng.cam.ac.uk (G. Evermann) writes:

> the culprit obviously is at parse-time.el:60
>
>   (aset parse-time-syntax ?- -1)
>
> As metioned the problem only happens when a message contains a
> timezone like -0000

Could someone suggest a fix for this?