* References again (related to GNKSA)
@ 1998-01-06 18:13 Hrvoje Niksic
From: Hrvoje Niksic @ 1998-01-06 18:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

WRT the references header, I like what Gnus used to do until some time
into Red Gnus -- reformat the header by introducing continuations.  If
I understand correctly, this was removed because of some broken
servers not handling such continuations correctly.

What I would like to see is a `message-break-references' variable,
with the following semantics:

nil	- don't break references (current default);
t	- always break references (sgnus default);
NUMBER	- break references if the created header is larger than NUMBER
	  characters.

The default might be a number (say, inn-safe 1000) or nil.  Opinions?

--
Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr> | Student at FER Zagreb, Croatia
--------------------------------+--------------------------------

* Re: References again (related to GNKSA)
@ 1998-01-06 18:30 ` Per Abrahamsen
From: Per Abrahamsen @ 1998-01-06 18:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr> writes:

> If I understand correctly, this was removed because of some broken
> servers not handling such continuations correctly.

Yep. INN 1.4 to be specific.  It didn't copy the continuations to the
`.overview' file.

> What I would like to see is a `message-break-references' variable,
> with the following semantics:

I don't think it is particular useful to have a posting side variable
to control a problem that only appears on the reading side.

* Re: References again (related to GNKSA)
@ 1998-01-12 22:22   ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-01-12 22:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Per Abrahamsen <abraham@dina.kvl.dk> writes:

> > If I understand correctly, this was removed because of some broken
> > servers not handling such continuations correctly.
>
> Yep. INN 1.4 to be specific.  It didn't copy the continuations to the
> `.overview' file.

No, the problem was (to the best of my knowledge) that INN 1.4 ignored
continuation headers when generating NOV lines on the fly.  (That is,
when the user requests the headers before INN (i. e., overchan, isn't
it?) has gotten around to generating the .overview file.