* How do you read mails when gnus is not available?
@ 2003-07-21 23:44 Jinhyok Heo
From: Jinhyok Heo @ 2003-07-21 23:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Well, I want to know how you send and receive mails when your gnus is
not available?

Gnus is something that I cannot do without. But sometimes I am away
from my machine and it is hard to get good connection to my machine.
It is quite difficult to do something with a remote gnus due to the
slow connection.

How do you manage this kind of situation? I wish to compare various
ways to enjoy email without gnus.

--
|--------------------------------------------------------------------------
| "We are still reaching for the sky. In the developed countries people
|  are coming back down, saying, `It's empty up there.'" --- a Ladakhi monk

* Re: How do you read mails when gnus is not available?
@ 2003-07-29  5:47         ` Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2003-07-29  5:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Matthias Andree <ma@dt.e-technik.uni-dortmund.de> writes:

>  kai.grossjohann@gmx.net (Kai Großjohann) writes:
>
> >  I'm starting a new job soon.  I prefer not to think about this
> >  issue.  There's still hope that their Exchange server talks IMAP...
>
>  During an internship, I had this displeasure with an older Gnus
>  version, and found that somehow, bogus empty lines made it to the
>  mails I was reading. I don't recall details about the setup (whether
>  imap as mailsource or nnimap as select method). I've then used PINE
>  that worked somewhat better. Possibly not security-wise (compared to
>  Gnus), but what does that matter with Outlook viruses hitting every
>  other day and Exchange as mail server...

No comment ;)
--
"And a fourth type: Those who think they are gurus because they
 can edit their /etc/conf files, and like to promote themselves

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 188 bytes --]

* Re: How do you read mails when gnus is not available?
@ 2003-07-27  0:19             ` Joseph Barillari
From: Joseph Barillari @ 2003-07-27  0:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

    CT> * Joseph Barillari <jbarilla@princeton.edu> writes: [ VNC ]

    >> Did you have to tweak anything to get the meta-key to work?
    >> When I've tried VNC from a windows box, emacs doesn't recognize
    >> the alt key as 'meta'.

    CT> Did you try the compatiblekbd option when starting vncserver?

    CT>      $ vncserver [...] -compatiblekbd

I just did. The meta key now works. Thanks!

--Joe

--
Joseph Barillari -- http://barillari.org

* Re: How do you read mails when gnus is not available?
@ 2003-07-26 18:30           ` Carsten Thönges
From: Carsten Thönges @ 2003-07-26 18:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2003-07-26 10:02       ` Matthias Andree
From: Matthias Andree @ 2003-07-26 10:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2003-07-26  9:32     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-07-26  9:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

       [not found]         ` <hhznj3wvv6.fsf@blah.pl>
@ 2003-07-24 22:32         ` Joseph Barillari
From: Joseph Barillari @ 2003-07-24 22:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

    JA> Jinhyok Heo <novembre+dated+1059439540.d6a4c6@ournature.org>
    JA> writes:
    >> I am also interested in this kind of configuration with gnus
    >> and web mail client such as squirrelmail.

    JA> I just had an idea: Gnus already has backends, what about
    JA> different frontends for Gnus? You could use Gnus through web
    JA> interface.

    >> In fact, I use vnc while I am away. If the connection is good,
    >> vnc is perfect. I can always use gnus or other X stuff in a
    >> same X window environment under other GNU/Linux or M$ windows.

Did you have to tweak anything to get the meta-key to work? When I've
tried VNC from a windows box, emacs doesn't recognize the alt key as
'meta'.

Best, --Joe

--

@ 2003-07-24 21:48     ` Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2003-07-24 21:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

On 24 jui 2003, Malcolm Purvis said:

>  Kai> It is really difficult to actually enjoy mail without Gnus.  In
>  Kai> fact, I can't imagine doing this.
>
>  You're not wrong.  I'm looking for work at the moment and I must say
>  that one of my concerns is making sure that my new future place of
>  work doesn't have a mandated mail client so that I can use Gnus.

Hmm good point ! I am putting it into my list too.

>  Malcolm - Lotus Notes hater.

zeDek - Outlook bloatware hater.
--
"Die Tastatur finden Sie, indem Sie das Kabel verfolgen, das mit einem
 5poligen DIN-Stecker an der Rueckseite Ihres Rechners angebracht

@ 2003-07-24 21:47             ` Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2003-07-24 21:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 24 jui 2003, Jesper Harder wrote:

>  Maciej Matysiak <phoner.ding@blah.pl> writes:
>
> >  On the 24th of July 2003 at 10:10, Juha Autero <Juha.Autero#iki.fi> wrote:
> >
> > >  I just had an idea: Gnus already has backends, what about
> > >  different frontends for Gnus? You could use Gnus through web
> > >  interface.
> >
> >  hm. is there mod_lisp for apache? :>
>
>  Yes, <http://www.fractalconcept.com/asp/html/mod_lisp.html> (that's
>  for Common Lisp, though)

Better than nothing though ;)

> >  we don't want to use '#!/usr/bin/emacs' in cgi scripts, do we? ;)
>
>  Well, there's Eric Marsdens cgi.el and httpd.el at
>  <http://www.chez.com/emarsden/downloads/index.html>.

Did someone ever try to make this work ?? I tried ti use it to handle a
EmacsWiki but it failed :(

zeDek
--
There comes a time when you put your lives
Into the hands of the gods

@ 2003-07-24 20:18           ` Jesper Harder
From: Jesper Harder @ 2003-07-24 20:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2003-07-24 11:16   ` Malcolm Purvis
From: Malcolm Purvis @ 2003-07-24 11:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai> It is really difficult to actually enjoy mail without Gnus.  In fact, I
Kai> can't imagine doing this.

You're not wrong.  I'm looking for work at the moment and I must say that one
of my concerns is making sure that my new future place of work doesn't have a
mandated mail client so that I can use Gnus.

Malcolm - Lotus Notes hater.

--
	       Malcolm Purvis <malcolmpurvis@optushome.com.au>

Q: Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?
A: To get to the other... uh... err...

* Re: How do you read mails when gnus is not available?
@ 2003-07-24  8:10       ` Juha Autero
       [not found]         ` <hhznj3wvv6.fsf@blah.pl>
From: Juha Autero @ 2003-07-24  8:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jinhyok Heo <novembre+dated+1059439540.d6a4c6@ournature.org> writes:

> I am also interested in this kind of configuration with gnus and web
> mail client such as squirrelmail.

I just had an idea: Gnus already has backends, what about different
frontends for Gnus? You could use Gnus through web interface.

> In fact, I use vnc while I am away. If the connection is good, vnc is
> perfect. I can always use gnus or other X stuff in a same X window
> environment under other GNU/Linux or M$ windows.

I use SSH and gnuclient (-nw). In fact, I'm using that to write this
mail.

--
Juha Autero
http://www.iki.fi/jautero/

* Re: How do you read mails when gnus is not available?
@ 2003-07-24  1:19     ` Jinhyok Heo
From: Jinhyok Heo @ 2003-07-24  1:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

    DMM> In summary, I found that being able to walk into an internet
    DMM> cafe and point an https connection at squirrelmail running on
    DMM> my desktop machine was worth the effort to get it going.

I am also interested in this kind of configuration with gnus and web
mail client such as squirrelmail.

I hope that there is a web mail client that can access my existing
nnml mail boxes.

In fact, I use vnc while I am away. If the connection is good, vnc is
perfect. I can always use gnus or other X stuff in a same X window
environment under other GNU/Linux or M$ windows.

I agree "Use gnus or quit!", but when the connection is not good, I am
tempted to find other ways.

--

@ 2003-07-23 21:29   ` D. Michael McFarland
From: D. Michael McFarland @ 2003-07-23 21:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

kai.grossjohann@gmx.net (Kai Großjohann) writes:

> Another approach is to set up an IMAP server and a web interface to
> go along with it.  Then you can either use Gnus as an IMAP client or
> use the web-based IMAP client.  This would make it easier to compose
> messages because that would be done locally.  Then, you'd `only' have
> to wait when you select a message for viewing or suchlike.

I recently set up such a system, and tried it out last week while
traveling.  It's not fun, and my writing suffers when I'm forced to
use such a, er, limited editor, but it worked, and everything was up
to date when I returned home.  I left a Gnus running so new mail was
split, but I suppose I really should move splitting from Gnus to
procmail (which I've used but find onerous to configure) or sieve
(which looks interesting but about which I know little).  Or cron a
job to run gnus periodically just to split new mail; has anyone tried
that?

In summary, I found that being able to walk into an internet cafe and
point an https connection at squirrelmail running on my desktop
machine was worth the effort to get it going.

Cheers,
Michael

* Re: How do you read mails when gnus is not available?
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2003-07-23  6:09 ` Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2003-07-23  6:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

On 19 jui 2003, Jinhyok Heo said:

>  Well, I want to know how you send and receive mails when your guns is
>  not available?

My Gnus is agentized and I enjoy the (un)plugged  stuff of Gnus. So
when I am away from my local network and/or I can't use other SMTP
server than the one at work place, I do all in an unplugged session. So
all mails written are queued in the 'queue' group and then I am back
(actually on evening), I plug my Gnus and "shoot" all the queued mails.

Not really comfortable but at least it prevents me from using something
different.

>  Gnus is something that I cannot do without. But sometimes I am away
>  from my machine and it is hard to get good connection to my machine.
>  It is quite difficult to do something with a remote gnus due to the
>  slow connection.

Yep I know what you mean. In fact I am also fighting with this for ages
now and as I didn't find any simple solution and as my network
administrator is blocking/dropping all the interesting ports, I can't
really figure out how to do something interesting.

>  How do you manage this kind of situation? I wish to compare various
>  ways to enjoy email without gnus.

There is none. Actually this is how I see things :) Some people would
tell you to play with different MUA, but as I am not an evil guy, I
don't want to tell you bullshit :) Use Gnus or quit ! ;) In a last
resort, maybe you can try the 3LIT3 solution : netcat ? ;)

I think the easier solution would be to switch your mail server into an
IMAP one and then put your Gnus into an IMAP client. For my part, this
the only solution I can see (also for me) but as I don't want to use
webmail, it is definetely not a good solution to me. So I am still
playing with a local unplugged Gnus and I "synchronize" on evening.

zeDek
--
"Mailand oder Madrid - Hauptsache Italien!" (Andreas Moeller)

@ 2003-07-23  5:56   ` Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2003-07-23  5:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 22 jui 2003, Kai Großjohann wrote:

>  Jinhyok Heo <novembre+dated+1059016389.f4e7aa@ournature.org> writes:
>
> >  How do you manage this kind of situation? I wish to compare various
> >  ways to enjoy email without gnus.
>
>  It is really difficult to actually enjoy mail without Gnus.  In fact,
>  I can't imagine doing this.

Same for me. I can't imagine how goofy it would be to use another
MUA. I prefer not read/write mails over than using something
else. Since I think I am becoming a power end-user with Gnus (thanx to
all the Ding people), I really can't use something different.

[...]

zeDek
--
Welcome to your future with Microsoft; where your every action will be
regulated by computers you do not control.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 188 bytes --]

* Re: How do you read mails when gnus is not available?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2003-07-22 16:06 ` Jody Klymak
From: Jody Klymak @ 2003-07-22 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Jinhyok Heo <novembre+dated+1059016389.f4e7aa@ournature.org> writes:

> Well, I want to know how you send and receive mails when your guns is
> not available?

I use pine - terminal based.  Simple editor that uses emacs-like kill
and yank.  It works great, and I know lots of people who only use
pine.

Cheers,  Jody

--
Jody Klymak      http://mixing.coas.oregonstate.edu/people/jklymak/
mailto:jklymak@coas.oregonstate.edu

* Re: How do you read mails when gnus is not available?
@ 2003-07-22 15:46 ` David Z Maze
From: David Z Maze @ 2003-07-22 15:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jinhyok Heo <novembre+dated+1059016389.f4e7aa@ournature.org> writes:

> Well, I want to know how you send and receive mails when your guns is
> not available?

If you're in a situation where you can read mail via IMAP and make
arbitrary outgoing SMTP connections, any other mail reader is fine.  I
tend to use mutt (with vi as an editor) when I'm not willing to wait
for Gnus to start up or dig through my mail.  (And before I figured
out that mutt in fact required far less configuration than Gnus, I was
using pine in the same way.)

> Gnus is something that I cannot do without. But sometimes I am away
> From my machine and it is hard to get good connection to my machine.
> It is quite difficult to do something with a remote gnus due to the
> slow connection.

What problems do you have?  How I use Gnus depends on what sort of
network I have:

-- Excellent (Ethernet to the file servers): run Gnus locally, read
   mail via nnml from networked filesystem (AFS)

-- Good (cable modem): run Gnus remotely with X forwarding

-- Bad (dialup, congested net): run Gnus remotely in text mode in
   screen

I do recommend using screen(1) if you're going to run Emacs in text
mode in a slow environment.  That way if you lose your connection you
haven't lost Emacs, you just need to reconnect to the dormant screen
session.  I do recommend changing the default command key binding,
though, since screen's default (C-a) is also the Emacs start-of-line
character; I use C-].

{14} dmaze% cat .screenrc
startup_message off
escape ^]a

--
David Maze             dmaze@mit.edu          http://www.mit.edu/~dmaze/
	-- Abra Mitchell

* Re: How do you read mails when gnus is not available?
@ 2003-07-22  8:34 ` Kai Großjohann
                     ` (2 more replies)
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-07-22  8:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jinhyok Heo <novembre+dated+1059016389.f4e7aa@ournature.org> writes:

> How do you manage this kind of situation? I wish to compare various
> ways to enjoy email without gnus.

It is really difficult to actually enjoy mail without Gnus.  In fact,
I can't imagine doing this.

Actually, I thought that running Emacs in a terminal made it rather
usable even over a very slow line.  I did that once in a situation
where I could easily type much faster than the connection could keep
up (I'd write half a line, then pause for a couple of seconds to wait
for the other end to catch up).  It wasn't fun, but then nothing was
fun over that connection, not even typing `ls' at the shell...

Another approach is to set up an IMAP server and a web interface to
go along with it.  Then you can either use Gnus as an IMAP client or
use the web-based IMAP client.  This would make it easier to compose
messages because that would be done locally.  Then, you'd `only' have
to wait when you select a message for viewing or suchlike.
--
~/.signature

* Re: How do you read mails when gnus is not available?
@ 2003-07-22  3:49 ` Joseph Barillari
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Joseph Barillari @ 2003-07-22  3:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

    JH> Well, I want to know how you send and receive mails when your
    JH> guns is not available?

    JH> Gnus is something that I cannot do without. But sometimes I am
    JH> away from my machine and it is hard to get good connection to
    JH> my machine.  It is quite difficult to do something with a
    JH> remote gnus due to the slow connection.

    JH> How do you manage this kind of situation? I wish to compare
    JH> various ways to enjoy email without gnus.

When you say 'remote emacs', are you referring to an X session, or a
terminal session?

If you're referring to the latter, short of switching back to BSD
mail(1), I doubt you can get that much speed improvement.

If you just want to try a different terminal-based client (which won't
be much better than terminal-based emacs in terms of
bytes-over-the-wire), I recommend mutt. I used to use it before I
switched to Gnus. It's a full-featured, quick curses-based
client. Only downside to it is that you have to boot up emacs every
time you change a message. (Admittedly, it's possible to avoid this,
either by using vi, or by pulling some tricks with ansi-term and
emacsserver.)

Best, --Joe

--
Joseph Barillari -- http://barillari.org

* How do you read mails when gnus is not available?
@ 2003-07-19  3:30 Jinhyok Heo
                   ` (4 more replies)
From: Jinhyok Heo @ 2003-07-19  3:30 UTC (permalink / raw)