* Steven E Harris writes: > Steve Youngs writes: >> Seems to work fine here. > It looks like you made ~/.xemacs/site-packages/lisp/gnus a symlink > rather than making ~/.xemacs/site-packages a symlink Only because I was too lazy to create the proper hierarchy at the other end of the link. It wouldn't make any difference, though. > Just to make sure we're talking about the same thing, I have: > ~/.xemacs/site-packages/lisp/gnus > symlinked to > ~/usr/local/lib/xemacs/site-packages/lisp/gnus > The latter contains a working Gnus installation built from a recent > CVS snapshot. auto-autoloads.el(c) is there. > When I start up XEmacs as xemacs -q, I get For reasons that I'm not sure of, when you start XEmacs like that you won't get the package directories under $HOME/.xemacs in your load-path. Try again, loading XEmacs normally. > $ file /home/seh/.xemacs/site-packages/lisp/gnus > => bash: file: command not found That's Cygwin for ya. > Could this be a Cygwin problem? Oh, how I'd love to say "yes" here, alas, I honestly don't know because I have never had anything to do with Cygwin. It sits on top of Windoze, so it is bound to be poorly designed and bug-ridden. :-) > Is there a variable (besides the obvious load-path) that I can > inspect to see if XEmacs includes ~/.xemacs/site-packages as part > of its initial path to find these autoload files? $ xemacs -debug-paths -kill > ~/xemacs-full-paths.out 2>&1 Whatever paths that XEmacs knows about on a normal start up will be in ~/xemacs-full-paths.out. $ xemacs -q -debug-paths -kill > ~/xemacs-q-paths.out 2>&1 Will tell you the paths that XEmacs knows about when started with '-q'. OK, now I have to ask the question... Why don't you just install Gnus to the default location? Or configure Gnus to install under ~/.xemacs/site-packages ? -- |---------------------| | Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. | | The proof of the pudding, is under the crust. | |---------------------------------|