* [Bug] Problems compiling spam.el and autoloading gnus-cite with recent CVS Gnus in (S)Xemacs
@ 2006-12-30  5:30 Nelson Ferreira
From: Nelson Ferreira @ 2006-12-30  5:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

While compiling a recent (Dec 29th CVS Gnus) with (S)XEmacs and the
latest release packages I get the following error:

Compiling /home/njsf/sandboxes/gnus/lisp/spam.el...
While compiling toplevel forms in file
/home/njsf/sandboxes/gnus/lisp/spam.el:
  !! Symbol's function definition is void ((ad-add-advice))

This prevents spam.el from being compiled which is preventing me from
using Gnus.
I suspect the addition of the make-obsolete-variable, but I don't know
for sure and did not have time to investigate deeper.

In addition, the recent change in gnus-cite:

+(define-minor-mode gnus-message-citation-mode
+  "Toggle `gnus-message-citation-mode' in current buffer.
+This buffer local minor mode provides additional font-lock support for
+nested citations.
+With prefix ARG, turn `gnus-message-citation-mode' on if and only if ARG is
+positive."
+  nil ;; init-value
+  ""  ;; lighter
+  nil ;; keymap
+  (if gnus-message-citation-mode
+      (gnus-message-add-citation-keywords)
+    (gnus-message-remove-citation-keywords))
+  (font-lock-fontify-buffer))

Is causing the following backtrace when viewing an article, on first
load of gnus-cite:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (void-variable gnus-message-citation-mode)
  byte-code("..." [gnus-message-citation-mode define-minor-mode "Toggle `gnus-message-citation-mode' in current buffer.\nThis buffer local minor mode provides additional font-lock support for\nnested citations.\nWith prefix ARG, turn `gnus-message-citation-mode' on if and only if ARG is\npositive." nil "" gnus-message-add-citation-keywords gnus-message-remove-citation-keywords font-lock-fontify-buffer] 8)
  load-internal("gnus-cite" nil nil nil binary)
  load("gnus-cite" nil nil nil)
  gnus-article-highlight-citation()
  gnus-treat-article(nil 1 1)
  gnus-display-mime()
  gnus-article-prepare-display()
  gnus-article-prepare(142 nil)
  gnus-summary-display-article(142 nil)
  gnus-summary-goto-article(142)
  gnus-summary-read-group-1("nnml:mail.duplicates" nil nil nil nil nil)
  gnus-summary-read-group("nnml:mail.duplicates" nil nil nil nil nil nil)
  gnus-group-read-group(nil nil nil)
  gnus-topic-read-group(nil)
  call-interactively(gnus-topic-read-group)

--
Nelson Ferreira

* Re: [Bug] Problems compiling spam.el and autoloading gnus-cite with recent CVS Gnus in (S)Xemacs
@ 2006-12-30 10:25 ` Steve Youngs
From: Steve Youngs @ 2006-12-30 10:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Nelson Ferreira <nelson.ferreira@ieee.org> writes:

  > Hi all,
  > While compiling a recent (Dec 29th CVS Gnus) with (S)XEmacs and the
  > latest release packages I get the following error:

  > Compiling /home/njsf/sandboxes/gnus/lisp/spam.el...
  > While compiling toplevel forms in file
  > /home/njsf/sandboxes/gnus/lisp/spam.el:
  >   !! Symbol's function definition is void ((ad-add-advice))

I _can't_ reproduce this with...

  steve@sxemacs.org--2007/sxemacs--main--22.1.7--patch-7

...it builds fine for me.

  > In addition, the recent change in gnus-cite:

[...]

  > Is causing the following backtrace when viewing an article, on first
  > load of gnus-cite:

  > Debugger entered--Lisp error: (void-variable
  > gnus-message-citation-mode)

Haven't tested this yet.  Will report back later.

--
|---<Steve Youngs>---------------<GnuPG KeyID: A94B3003>---|
|       SXEmacs - The only _______ you'll ever need.       |

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 312 bytes --]

* Re: [Bug] Problems compiling spam.el and autoloading gnus-cite with recent CVS Gnus in (S)Xemacs
@ 2006-12-30 11:44   ` Steve Youngs
From: Steve Youngs @ 2006-12-30 11:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Steve Youngs <steve@sxemacs.org> writes:

* Nelson Ferreira <nelson.ferreira@ieee.org> writes:
  >> In addition, the recent change in gnus-cite:

  > [...]

  >> Is causing the following backtrace when viewing an article, on first
  >> load of gnus-cite:

  >> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (void-variable
  >> gnus-message-citation-mode)

  > Haven't tested this yet.  Will report back later.

I can confirm this one.

--

@ 2006-12-31 11:44   ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2006-12-31 11:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

[ Resent ]

On Sat, Dec 30 2006, Steve Youngs wrote:

> * Nelson Ferreira <nelson.ferreira@ieee.org> writes:
>
>   > While compiling a recent (Dec 29th CVS Gnus) with (S)XEmacs

Please include the detailed version numbers of (S)XEmacs when
reporting problems.

>   > and the latest release packages I get the following error:
>
>   > Compiling /home/njsf/sandboxes/gnus/lisp/spam.el...
>   > While compiling toplevel forms in file
>   > /home/njsf/sandboxes/gnus/lisp/spam.el:
>   >   !! Symbol's function definition is void ((ad-add-advice))

I wonder why `ad-add-advice' appears here. Maybe from
`dgnushack-make-auto-load'.

> I _can't_ reproduce this with...
>
>   steve@sxemacs.org--2007/sxemacs--main--22.1.7--patch-7
>
> ...it builds fine for me.

I can't reproduce it neither with XEmacs 21.4 (patch 15) "Security
Through Obscurity" [Lucid] (x86_64-suse-linux, Mule\ ) of Fri Feb 11
2005 on helvede.

>   > Is causing the following backtrace when viewing an article, on first
>   > load of gnus-cite:
>
>   > Debugger entered--Lisp error: (void-variable
>   > gnus-message-citation-mode)
>
> Haven't tested this yet.  Will report back later.

See the thread "Highlighting of different citation levels in
message-mode" and my answer to Norbert there:
http://thread.gmane.org/v9y7os14zi.fsf%40marauder.physik.uni-ulm.de

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,