Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen writes: > After the discussion here, I think I've decided to move Gnus development > to Emacs and Emacsify the code for greater readability. Are you going to keep git.gnus.org live for a period of time after the move so us slow-coaches can grab the last of the (S)XEmacs capable Gnus? Also, it'd be very much appreciated if you could let me know when the last commit goes in at git.gnus.org. > If {S,}XEmacs wants to keep tracking Gnus development, this > unfortunately means that the onus is on the {S,}XEmacs maintainers to > add an ever-growing number of Emacs compat functions, and expand > function call lists to keep up with Emacs function call lists. > (As well as adding seq/map/cllib/etc.) Yep, working on it. :) > The major stumbling block is, of course, lexical binding, but we'll see > how much of that creeps into Gnus after a while. Gnus is quite async in > some respects, and having proper closures makes that a lot more > readable, but on the other hand, Gnus (ab)uses dynamic scope > extensively, so... Gnus is far from unique in that (ab)use, even my own code does it a lot more than I'd care to admit to. But yeah, lexical scope is well and truly on the SXEmacs radar. Might have to bump it up a few notches on the todo list. :-) > I wrote up the decision here, with added images: > http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no/2016/01/01/its-about-ethics-in-gnus-development/ It must be true, there's cats and memes involved. -- |---------------------| | SXEmacs - The only _______ you'll ever need. | | Fill in the blank, yes, it's THAT good! | |---------------------------------------|