* annoying change
@ 1997-01-06 16:49 Jeff Sparkes
From: Jeff Sparkes @ 1997-01-06 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

I object to the following change that occurred in rgnus-0.75:
       * gnus-start.el (gnus-read-init-file): Don't read init file when
       started with "emacs -q".

I run a separate xemacs for news reading that avoids a lot of stuff that I
normally load.  I therefore start "xemacs -q -f gnus" to get a somewhat
leaner process.  This changes makes it impossible to get my .gnus loaded.
I can understand the need start without reading .gnus, but perhaps a
different entry-point function is needed.  Maybe gnus-with-startup-file
and/or gnus-without-startup-file?

--
Jeff Sparkes
jsparkes@nortel.ca    Nortel, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada 	613-765-2503

* Re: annoying change
@ 1997-01-06 19:13 ` Paul Stodghill
From: Paul Stodghill @ 1997-01-06 19:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

    Jeff> I run a separate xemacs for news reading that avoids a lot of
    Jeff> stuff that I normally load. I therefore start "xemacs -q -f gnus"
    Jeff> to get a somewhat leaner process. This changes makes it
    Jeff> impossible to get my .gnus loaded. I can understand the need
    Jeff> start without reading .gnus, but perhaps a different entry-point
    Jeff> function is needed. Maybe gnus-with-startup-file and/or
    Jeff> gnus-without-startup-file?

Doesn't this do what you want?

	% cat ~/.emacs-just-gnus
	(gnus)
	% xemacs -q -l ~/.emacs-just-gnus

I didn't actually test it, so it probably doesn't...
--
Paul Stodghill <stodghil@cs.cornell.edu>
http://www.cs.cornell.edu/home/stodghil/home.html

* Re: annoying change
@ 1997-01-06 19:26   ` Paul Stodghill
From: Paul Stodghill @ 1997-01-06 19:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

>     Jeff> I run a separate xemacs for news reading that avoids a lot of
>     Jeff> stuff that I normally load. I therefore start "xemacs -q -f gnus"
>     Jeff> to get a somewhat leaner process. This changes makes it
>     Jeff> impossible to get my .gnus loaded. I can understand the need
>     Jeff> start without reading .gnus, but perhaps a different entry-point
>     Jeff> function is needed. Maybe gnus-with-startup-file and/or
>     Jeff> gnus-without-startup-file?
>
> Doesn't this do what you want?
>
> 	% cat ~/.emacs-just-gnus
> 	(gnus)
> 	% xemacs -q -l ~/.emacs-just-gnus
>
> I didn't actually test it, so it probably doesn't...
> --
> Paul Stodghill <stodghil@cs.cornell.edu>
> http://www.cs.cornell.edu/home/stodghil/home.html

Doh! I should have written the following,

 	% cat ~/.emacs-just-gnus
	(let ((init-file-user t))
 	  (gnus))
 	% xemacs -q -l ~/.emacs-just-gnus