* groups.google.com provides original articles
@ 2001-08-25 13:48 Gunnar Evermann
From: Gunnar Evermann @ 2001-08-25 13:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Google now provides access to the original format of archived
messages, e.g.

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=m3n14p83c0.fsf%40quimbies.gnus.org&output=gplain

maybe somebody could fix nnweb to use that?

  Gunnar

* Re: groups.google.com provides original articles
@ 2001-08-25 16:20 ` ShengHuo ZHU
From: ShengHuo ZHU @ 2001-08-25 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Gunnar Evermann <ge204@eng.cam.ac.uk> writes:

> Google now provides access to the original format of archived
> messages, e.g.
>
> http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=m3n14p83c0.fsf%40quimbies.gnus.org&output=gplain
>
> maybe somebody could fix nnweb to use that?

Cool. Fixed.

ShengHuo

* Re: groups.google.com provides original articles
@ 2001-08-25 17:02   ` Gunnar Evermann
From: Gunnar Evermann @ 2001-08-25 17:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

ShengHuo ZHU <zsh@cs.rochester.edu> writes:

> Gunnar Evermann <ge204@eng.cam.ac.uk> writes:
>
> > Google now provides access to the original format of archived
> > messages,
>
> Cool. Fixed.

Thanks, very nice, but something seems to go wrong in some cases. Here
is what I did:

Create a nnweb group with G W, use dejanews and search for "HTK"

In the Summary buffer if you scroll down to line 39 you'll see a
message by "Charlie Thompson" in rec.crafts.metalworking. The next
five messages claim to be by the same author in the same group,
although they are not. The subjects seem to be correct, though.

Do you need any other info?

I have a few extra questions about web groups:

 - It would be cool if one could switch from the google default of
   "sort by relevance" to "sort by date"

 - Is there a way to display the complete thread for one of the entries
   found by the search? Using '^' does work (although the display is
   not threaded), but that only gets the parents.

@ 2001-08-26  9:54     ` Gunnar Evermann
From: Gunnar Evermann @ 2001-08-26  9:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Gunnar Evermann <ge204@eng.cam.ac.uk> writes:

[ nnweb using groups.google ]

> Thanks, very nice, but something seems to go wrong in some cases. Here
> is what I did:

I had a quick look at this and the problem is with groups that do not
exist anymore. For these Google doesn't make the groupname a link and
the code in  nnweb-google-parse-1 fails to parse the info from the
green line and retains the info from the previous article (which is
rather dangerous, as it covers up bugs).

I'll leave fixing this to somebody who actually understands nnweb.

  Gunnar