* xemacs hangs
@ 1999-12-05 18:31 Laura Conrad
From: Laura Conrad @ 1999-12-05 18:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

I was working in an x window on top of the xemacs (20.4) window.  The
xemacs was in the *Group* buffer of gnus 5.8.2.  When I closed it, the
xemacs window did not redraw, and seemed hung.  When I killed the job,
I go this lisp backtrace.

Lisp backtrace follows:

  # bind (max min cur prev num found article)
  nnheader-find-nov-line(8358)
  # bind (end beg)
  nnheader-nov-delete-outside-range(8358 8358)
  # (unwind-protect ...)
  # bind (nov fetch-old articles)
  nnml-retrieve-headers-with-nov((8358) nil)
  # bind (file number count pathname-coding-system beg article)
  # (unwind-protect ...)
  # bind (fetch-old server group sequence)
  nnml-retrieve-headers((8358) "redhat" "private" nil)
  # bind (gnus-command-method fetch-old group articles)
  gnus-retrieve-headers((8358) "nnml+private:redhat" nil)
  # bind (gnus-use-cache cached fetch-old group articles)
  gnus-cache-retrieve-headers((8358) "nnml+private:redhat" nil)
  # bind (gnus-command-method fetch-old group articles)
  gnus-retrieve-headers((8358) "nnml+private:redhat" nil)
  # bind (cached fetched-articles articles info gnus-summary-ignore-duplicates entry select-articles read-all group)
  gnus-select-newsgroup("nnml+private:redhat" nil nil)
  # bind (quit-config new-group select-articles no-display kill-buffer no-article show-all group)
  gnus-summary-read-group-1("nnml+private:redhat" nil nil nil nil nil)
  # bind (gnus-auto-select-next result select-articles backward no-display kill-buffer no-article show-all group)
  gnus-summary-read-group("nnml+private:redhat" nil nil nil nil nil nil)
  # bind (no-display group number active marked entry select-articles group no-article all)
  gnus-group-read-group(nil)
  # bind (command-debug-status)
  call-interactively(gnus-group-read-group)
  # (condition-case ... . error)
  # (catch top-level ...)

--
Laura (mailto:lconrad@world.std.com , http://www.world.std.com/~lconrad/ )
(617) 661-8097	fax: (801) 365-6574

* Re: xemacs hangs
@ 1999-12-05 19:11 ` Laura Conrad
From: Laura Conrad @ 1999-12-05 19:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: crashes

    Laura> I was working in an x window on top of the xemacs (20.4)
    Laura> window.  The xemacs was in the *Group* buffer of gnus
    Laura> 5.8.2.  When I closed it, the xemacs window did not redraw,
    Laura> and seemed hung.

Followup: because the window didn't redraw, I wasn't able to remember
what I'd been doing when I went to the other window, but I was able to
reproduce the hang, and it was hanging on entry to the group
nnml+private:redhat.

--

@ 1999-12-05 19:59   ` Gunnar Evermann
From: Gunnar Evermann @ 1999-12-05 19:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

>     Laura> I was working in an x window on top of the xemacs (20.4)
>     Laura> window.  The xemacs was in the *Group* buffer of gnus
>     Laura> 5.8.2.  When I closed it, the xemacs window did not redraw,
>     Laura> and seemed hung.
>
> Followup: because the window didn't redraw, I wasn't able to remember
> what I'd been doing when I went to the other window, but I was able to
> reproduce the hang, and it was hanging on entry to the group
> nnml+private:redhat.

instead of killing xemacs, could you attach a debugger to the xemacs
process and get a _C_ backtrace that way?

TIA,
  Gunnar

--
       Gunnar Evermann