From: Didier Verna <didier@xemacs.org>
To: Tassilo Horn <tassilo@member.fsf.org>
Cc: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: Don't open closed servers on `g'
Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2010 14:47:20 +0100	[thread overview]

Tassilo Horn <tassilo@member.fsf.org> wrote:

> I sometimes close some servers in the *Server* buffer, because I'm not
> interested in getting updates for them right now, for example because
> I'm on a slow network or a server is down and I don't want to
> interrupt Gnus contacting that broken server over and over again.
>
> Unfortunately, when hitting `g' in *Group*, Gnus re-opens all servers
> forcefully.  Can that be changed somehow?

  You can go to the servers buffer and hit D to deny a server. Gnus
don't try to re-open denied servers when you 'g' in the Groups buffer.

Here's a little hack I use on top of that in order to display groups in
server-status-specific colors:

;; How it works: the advice below adds a `server-status' local variable that
;; can be used in `gnus-group-highlight'. For instance, you can use forms like
;; (eq server-status 'closed) or (eq server-status 'denied) in conjunction
;; with the two following faces:
(defface gnus-group-server-denied-face '((t ()))
  "Face used for groups belonging to a denied server."
  :group 'gnus-group)

(defface gnus-group-server-closed-face '((t ()))
  "Face used for groups belonging to a denied server."
  :group 'gnus-group)

(defadvice gnus-group-highlight-line (around server-status activate)
  "Add a SERVER-STATUS local variable for use in `gnus-group-highlight'."
  (let (server-status)
    ;; Let's do this outside the let to avoid a load-time warning
    (setq server-status (gnus-server-status
			 (gnus-find-method-for-group
			  (gnus-group-group-name))))
    ad-do-it))

--
Resistance is futile. You will be jazzimilated.

Scientific site:   http://www.lrde.epita.fr/~didier
Music (Jazz) site: http://www.didierverna.com