* [Q] nnimap / GMail / splitting
@ 2008-09-09  8:10 Didier Verna
From: Didier Verna @ 2008-09-09  8:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gnus Beta Testers

       Hello,

I'm considering using (for the first time) an nnimap secondary select
method to access my GMail account, and maybe gradually transferring most
of my mail traffic to GMail.

Am I correct in assuming that if I want to continue access my mail from
Gnus, and from time to time via the gmail web interface, I would have to
duplicate my split rules by hand ?

More precisely, please tell me if my interpretation of the situation
below is correct:

- nnimap splitting rules are local: you get individual mails moved to
  different group when Gnus is used to get new mail. The mails are moved
  around on the server, but if you get new mail via the web interface,
  it will just stay in your inbox (it won't be split automatically).

- GMail doesn't support Sieve, so there's no way to have my nnimap
  splitting rules transferred up to the server.

- So if I want my mail split on the server as well (when I use the web
  interface), every time I create or modify a splitting rule in Gnus,
  I'd have to duplicate it somehow by hand.

Thanks.

--
Resistance is futile. You will be jazzimilated.

Scientific site:   http://www.lrde.epita.fr/~didier
Music (Jazz) site: http://www.didierverna.com

EPITA/LRDE, 14-16 rue Voltaire, 94276 Le Kremlin-Bicêtre, France
Tel. +33 (0)1 44 08 01 85       Fax. +33 (0)1 53 14 59 22

* Re: [Q] nnimap / GMail / splitting
@ 2008-09-09  8:53 ` Adam Rooke
From: Adam Rooke @ 2008-09-09  8:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Didier Verna <didier@xemacs.org> writes:

> Am I correct in assuming that if I want to continue access my mail from
> Gnus, and from time to time via the gmail web interface, I would have to
> duplicate my split rules by hand ?
> - nnimap splitting rules are local: you get individual mails moved to
>   different group when Gnus is used to get new mail. The mails are moved
>   around on the server, but if you get new mail via the web interface,
>   it will just stay in your inbox (it won't be split automatically).
>
> - GMail doesn't support Sieve, so there's no way to have my nnimap
>   splitting rules transferred up to the server.
>
> - So if I want my mail split on the server as well (when I use the web
>   interface), every time I create or modify a splitting rule in Gnus,
>   I'd have to duplicate it somehow by hand.

I currently use offlineimap and dovecot to manage my GMail in Gnus with
a set up similar to the one you are after.

Instead of using Gnus' split mail capacity, I use GMails'. It is
possible to set up filters on the web interface such that all emails
fitting a certain category are archived automatically. For example I
have a filter like this:

Matches: to:(emacs-orgmode@gnu.org)
Do this: Skip Inbox, Apply label "Org-Mode"

Which, with a few other similar filters, gives me a topic view like so:

[ Gnus (new: 0) ]
  [ GMail (new: 13) ]
    Org-Mode                                           unread: 10
    Stump                                              unread: 3
    INBOX                                              unread: 0
  [ News (new: 18) ]

Although not as flexible as Gnus' filtering, it does the job for me in
keeping my web interface == to Gnus/Mutt/Outlook/whatever I'm using.

Cheers,
Adam

* Re: [Q] nnimap / GMail / splitting
@ 2008-09-09  9:28 ` David Engster
From: David Engster @ 2008-09-09  9:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gnus Beta Testers

Didier Verna <didier@xemacs.org> writes:
> More precisely, please tell me if my interpretation of the situation
> below is correct:
>
> - nnimap splitting rules are local: you get individual mails moved to
>   different group when Gnus is used to get new mail. The mails are moved
>   around on the server, but if you get new mail via the web interface,
>   it will just stay in your inbox (it won't be split automatically).

Yes.

> - GMail doesn't support Sieve, so there's no way to have my nnimap
>   splitting rules transferred up to the server.

Yes. There also doesn't seem to exist an API for Googlemail which could
do that.

> - So if I want my mail split on the server as well (when I use the web
>   interface), every time I create or modify a splitting rule in Gnus,
>   I'd have to duplicate it somehow by hand.

Then I guess you could just create rules only in Googlemail in the first
place?

-David

* Re: [Q] nnimap / GMail / splitting
@ 2008-09-09 12:12   ` Didier Verna
From: Didier Verna @ 2008-09-09 12:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gnus Beta Testers

David Engster <deng@randomsample.de> wrote:

>> - So if I want my mail split on the server as well (when I use the
>> web interface), every time I create or modify a splitting rule in
>> Gnus, I'd have to duplicate it somehow by hand.
>
> Then I guess you could just create rules only in Googlemail in the first
> place?

  Probably. The only risk is to fall on a fancy gnus split rule that I
wouldn't be able to duplicate in gmail.