* lost tick marks
@ 2006-09-03 13:52 Didier Verna
From: Didier Verna @ 2006-09-03 13:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

        Hi !

Yesterday, gnus lost all trace of ticked articles in my nntp groups (I had
more than 500 of them, and this is not the first time it happens :-(). I tried
to restore the tick list from a backup of .newsrc.eld, but that didn't change
anything.

Does somebody know what else would be needed ?

A side question: I usually ! and * articles at the same time, so that I keep
them locally (this is also a good way to preserve ticked articles in case the
tick marks are lost). Is there already a way to do this (tick and cache)
automatically ?

Thanks !

--
Didier Verna, didier@lrde.epita.fr, http://www.lrde.epita.fr/~didier

EPITA / LRDE, 14-16 rue Voltaire   Tel.+33 (1) 44 08 01 85
94276 Le Kremlin-Bicêtre, France   Fax.+33 (1) 53 14 59 22   didier@xemacs.org

* Re: lost tick marks
@ 2006-09-04 20:41 ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2006-09-04 20:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Sep 03 2006, Didier Verna wrote:

> Yesterday, gnus lost all trace of ticked articles in my nntp groups
> (I had more than 500 of them, and this is not the first time it
> happens :-().

IIRC this has been reported previously.  Unfortunately nobody supplied
a recipe to reproduce it.

> I tried to restore the tick list from a backup of .newsrc.eld, but
> that didn't change anything.
>
> Does somebody know what else would be needed ?

Did you restore the marks files as well?

,----[ (info "(gnus)No Gnus") ]

`----

> A side question: I usually ! and * articles at the same time, so that I keep
> them locally (this is also a good way to preserve ticked articles in case the
> tick marks are lost). Is there already a way to do this (tick and cache)
> automatically ?

Does it work to set `gnus-use-cache' to t?

,----[ (info "(gnus)Article Caching") ]
|    To turn caching on, set `gnus-use-cache' to `t'.  By default, all
| articles ticked or marked as dormant will then be copied over to your
| local cache (`gnus-cache-directory').
`----

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: lost tick marks
@ 2006-09-05  6:44   ` Didier Verna
From: Didier Verna @ 2006-09-05  6:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Reiner Steib <reinersteib+gmane@imap.cc> wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 03 2006, Didier Verna wrote:
>
>> Yesterday, gnus lost all trace of ticked articles in my nntp groups
>> (I had more than 500 of them, and this is not the first time it
>> happens :-().
>
> IIRC this has been reported previously.  Unfortunately nobody supplied
> a recipe to reproduce it.

        I can't provide a receipe either. I suspect this may have somethign to
do with hitting C-g at some point, but I'm not even sure about it.

>> I tried to restore the tick list from a backup of .newsrc.eld, but
>> that didn't change anything.
>>
>> Does somebody know what else would be needed ?
>
> Did you restore the marks files as well?

        Yes. I figure that out in the meantime, restored it, and it worked.

>> A side question: I usually ! and * articles at the same time, so that I
>> keep them locally (this is also a good way to preserve ticked articles in
>> case the tick marks are lost). Is there already a way to do this (tick and
>> cache) automatically ?
>
> Does it work to set `gnus-use-cache' to t?

        My current setting is passive, but I guess you're right.

Thanks.