* Full name in brackets, why?
@ 2012-01-23 22:15 Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2012-01-23 22:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hello,

The from-line of all my outgoing messages are of the form:

    From: my@address (Peter Münster)

Why?

I would like to get this form:

    From: Peter Münster <my@address>

How is this possible?

The only user-name or address related setting in my gnus.el file is

(setq user-mail-address "my@address")

TIA for any help,
--
           Peter

* Re: Full name in brackets, why?
@ 2012-01-23 22:50 ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2012-01-23 22:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Münster; +Cc: ding

pmlists@free.fr (Peter Münster) writes:

> The from-line of all my outgoing messages are of the form:
>
>     From: my@address (Peter Münster)
>
> Why?
>
> I would like to get this form:
>
>     From: Peter Münster <my@address>
>
> How is this possible?

message-from-style is a variable defined in `message.el'.
Its value is default

Documentation:
Specifies how "From" headers look.

If nil, they contain just the return address like:
	king@grassland.com
If `parens', they look like:
	king@grassland.com (Elvis Parsley)
If `angles', they look like:
	Elvis Parsley <king@grassland.com>

Otherwise, most addresses look like `angles', but they look like
`parens' if `angles' would need quoting and `parens' would not.

Andreas.

--
Andreas Schwab, schwab@linux-m68k.org

* Re: Full name in brackets, why?
@ 2012-01-24  8:25   ` Didier Verna
From: Didier Verna @ 2012-01-24  8:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Schwab; +Cc: Peter Münster, ding

Andreas Schwab <schwab@linux-m68k.org> wrote:

> pmlists@free.fr (Peter Münster) writes:
>
>> The from-line of all my outgoing messages are of the form:
>>
>>     From: my@address (Peter Münster)
>>
>> Why?
>>
>> I would like to get this form:
>>
>>     From: Peter Münster <my@address>
>>
>> How is this possible?
>
> message-from-style is a variable defined in `message.el'.
> Its value is default

  There's more to it than that though. I think that the presence of a
non ASCII character in Peter's name makes it non RFC-822 compliant to
use the form he's requesting (or maybe it would need quoting). The
function message-make-from checks for that and may simply disregard the
value of message-from-style.

--
Resistance is futile. You will be jazzimilated.

Scientific site:   http://www.lrde.epita.fr/~didier
Music (Jazz) site: http://www.didierverna.com

* Re: Full name in brackets, why?
@ 2012-01-24 16:56     ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2012-01-24 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Tue, Jan 24 2012, Didier Verna wrote:

> I think that the presence of a non ASCII character in Peter's name
> makes it non RFC-822 compliant to use the form he's requesting (or
> maybe it would need quoting).

Yes.

> The function message-make-from checks for that and may simply
> disregard the value of message-from-style.

It doesn't:

ELISP> (let ((message-from-style 'default))
	 (message-make-from "Peter Münster" "my@address"))
"my@address (Peter Münster)"
ELISP> (let ((message-from-style 'angles))
	 (message-make-from "Peter Münster" "my@address"))
"\"Peter Münster\" <my@address>"

The MIME machinery does it differently...

,----[ message mode ]
`----

,----[ MIME preview (C-u M-x mml-preview RET) ]
| To: pmlists@free.fr (Peter =?iso-8859-1?Q?M=FCnster?=)
| Cc: Peter =?iso-8859-1?Q?M=FCnster?= <pmlists@free.fr>,
|     =?iso-8859-1?Q?Peter_M=FCnster?= <pmlists@free.fr>
`----

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: Full name in brackets, why?
@ 2012-01-24 23:10   ` Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2012-01-24 23:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Thanks, for the solution!
(I always forget to search also for variables with "message-" prefix,
not only "gnus-" ...)

On Tue, Jan 24 2012, Reiner Steib wrote:

> ,----[ MIME preview (C-u M-x mml-preview RET) ]
> | To: pmlists@free.fr (Peter =?iso-8859-1?Q?M=FCnster?=)
> | Cc: Peter =?iso-8859-1?Q?M=FCnster?= <pmlists@free.fr>,
> |     =?iso-8859-1?Q?Peter_M=FCnster?= <pmlists@free.fr>
> `----

So here we see, that my name is *always* quoted, with angles *and* with
parens: I don't understand the documentation... :(

--
           Peter