* Question about article number
@ 2007-04-10  8:15 ssSslang
From: ssSslang @ 2007-04-10  8:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hi all. I use Gnus to deal maillist as well as my personal mail.
Nowadays I found that if I manually delete some mail, there are some
"holes" in the article number queue. Then when I open a group contains
that "hole", I cannot get the right number of article displayed which I
entered before. So the article number system makes me confused. Is there
any way to disable this feature?

TIA.
--
ssSslang

* Re: Question about article number
@ 2007-04-10  9:25 ` Didier Verna
From: Didier Verna @ 2007-04-10  9:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ssSslang; +Cc: ding

ssSslang <sssslang@163.com> wrote:

> Hi all. I use Gnus to deal maillist as well as my personal mail. Nowadays I
> found that if I manually delete some mail, there are some "holes" in the
> article number queue. Then when I open a group contains that "hole", I
> cannot get the right number of article displayed which I entered before. So
> the article number system makes me confused. Is there any way to disable
> this feature?

        The usual way to handle this is to move all articles from one group to
a new one. If you're using nnml, you can also throw an eye to the group
compaction feature.

--
Didier Verna, didier@lrde.epita.fr, http://www.lrde.epita.fr/~didier

EPITA / LRDE, 14-16 rue Voltaire   Tel.+33 (1) 44 08 01 85
94276 Le Kremlin-Bicêtre, France   Fax.+33 (1) 53 14 59 22   didier@xemacs.org

* Re: Question about article number
@ 2007-04-10 13:17   ` Florian Weimer
From: Florian Weimer @ 2007-04-10 13:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ssSslang; +Cc: ding

* Didier Verna:

> ssSslang <sssslang@163.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi all. I use Gnus to deal maillist as well as my personal mail. Nowadays I
>> found that if I manually delete some mail, there are some "holes" in the
>> article number queue. Then when I open a group contains that "hole", I
>> cannot get the right number of article displayed which I entered before. So
>> the article number system makes me confused. Is there any way to disable
>> this feature?
>
>         The usual way to handle this is to move all articles from one group to
> a new one. If you're using nnml, you can also throw an eye to the group
> compaction feature.

nnml also seems to update the message count once you've visited the
group (at least that's what I see over here).

* Re: Question about article number
@ 2007-04-10 14:07   ` ssSslang
From: ssSslang @ 2007-04-10 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Didier Verna <didier@xemacs.org> writes:

> ssSslang <sssslang@163.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi all. I use Gnus to deal maillist as well as my personal mail. Nowadays I
>> found that if I manually delete some mail, there are some "holes" in the
>> article number queue. Then when I open a group contains that "hole", I
>> cannot get the right number of article displayed which I entered before. So
>> the article number system makes me confused. Is there any way to disable
>> this feature?
>
>         The usual way to handle this is to move all articles from one group to
> a new one. If you're using nnml, you can also throw an eye to the group
> compaction feature.

Thank you. And, is it a new feature? I cannot find such a command during apropos.

--

@ 2007-04-10 14:08     ` ssSslang
From: ssSslang @ 2007-04-10 14:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Florian Weimer; +Cc: ding

> * Didier Verna:
>
>> ssSslang <sssslang@163.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all. I use Gnus to deal maillist as well as my personal mail. Nowadays I
>>> found that if I manually delete some mail, there are some "holes" in the
>>> article number queue. Then when I open a group contains that "hole", I
>>> cannot get the right number of article displayed which I entered before. So
>>> the article number system makes me confused. Is there any way to disable
>>> this feature?
>>
>>         The usual way to handle this is to move all articles from one group to
>> a new one. If you're using nnml, you can also throw an eye to the group
>> compaction feature.
>
> nnml also seems to update the message count once you've visited the
> group (at least that's what I see over here).

I do use nnml. But it don't. I use Emacs 23 with Gnus 5.11.

--

@ 2007-04-10 14:15     ` Didier Verna
From: Didier Verna @ 2007-04-10 14:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Florian Weimer; +Cc: ssSslang, ding

Florian Weimer <fw@deneb.enyo.de> wrote:

> nnml also seems to update the message count once you've visited the group
> (at least that's what I see over here).

        But the count is wrong if you have gaps in your numbering. That's the
reason why I implemented the group compaction facility[1].

Footnotes:
[1]  and also because one of my group was close to <most-positive-fixnum>
articles. No, just kidding :-)

--

@ 2007-04-10 15:20     ` Didier Verna
From: Didier Verna @ 2007-04-10 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ssSslang; +Cc: ding

ssSslang <sssslang@163.com> wrote:

> Thank you. And, is it a new feature? I cannot find such a command during
> apropos.

        Relatively new (note the intentional fuzziness of the answer :-).

The entry points are gnus-group-compact-group (G z in the group buffer) and
gnus-server-compact-server (z in the server buffer). BTW, I just figured out
that it is not documented in the manual. I thought I did :-/

OK, now I see why I didn't ;-)

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.gnus.general/60972

Maybe it's time.

--

@ 2007-04-11  0:11       ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2007-04-11  0:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Didier Verna <didier@xemacs.org> writes:
> The entry points are gnus-group-compact-group (G z in the group buffer) and
> gnus-server-compact-server (z in the server buffer). BTW, I just figured out
> that it is not documented in the manual. I thought I did :-/

BTW, is this feature only in the gnus trunk (i.e., not 5.10)?

-miles

--
Fast, small, soon; pick any 2.

* Re: Question about article number
@ 2007-04-11  9:10         ` Didier Verna
From: Didier Verna @ 2007-04-11  9:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Miles Bader; +Cc: ding

Miles Bader <miles@gnu.org> wrote:

> BTW, is this feature only in the gnus trunk (i.e., not 5.10)?

        I guess so. I must admit I've never understood the version numbering
policy of Gnus. I'm using No Gnus (version 0.6 as gnus-version says) from CVS
and I only commit there. I have no idea what 5.10 is... but if it's the
current stable version this feature is probably not there.

--

@ 2007-04-11 18:25           ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2007-04-11 18:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Miles Bader; +Cc: ding

On Wed, Apr 11 2007, Didier Verna wrote:

> Miles Bader <miles@gnu.org> wrote:
>
>> BTW, is this feature only in the gnus trunk (i.e., not 5.10)?
>
>         I guess so.

Yes, it's not in v5-10.

> I must admit I've never understood the version numbering policy of
> Gnus. I'm using No Gnus (version 0.6 as gnus-version says) from CVS
> and I only commit there. I have no idea what 5.10 is...

See (info "(gnus)Gnus Versions") and the section "Syncing" in
`texi/gnus-coding.texi'.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: Question about article number
@ 2007-04-12  8:14             ` Didier Verna
From: Didier Verna @ 2007-04-12  8:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Miles Bader; +Cc: ding

Reiner Steib <reinersteib+gmane@imap.cc> wrote:

> See (info "(gnus)Gnus Versions") and the section "Syncing" in
> `texi/gnus-coding.texi'.

        Thanks.