* The etc directory
@ 2006-09-06  8:17 Didier Verna
From: Didier Verna @ 2006-09-06  8:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

        Hi !

When make install'ing Gnus for XEmacs, the etc stuff goes to
package_prefix/etc/images/[gnus, smilies, and other stuff]

While the smiley library correctly detects this location, Gnus still expects
to find and etc/gnus directory and barfs when trying to display the splash
screen.

I'm afraid of fixing this without knowing if it also affects GNU Emacs (I
don't know if GNU Emacs uses the stuff in etc/). Besides, this raises an aside
question: gnus seems to only use etc/ for images, in which case having
etc/images/gnus is logical. However, maybe having etc/gnus directly would also
make sense (or perhaps only in the future when something else than glyphs
would be added).

Comments ?

--
Didier Verna, didier@lrde.epita.fr, http://www.lrde.epita.fr/~didier

EPITA / LRDE, 14-16 rue Voltaire   Tel.+33 (1) 44 08 01 85
94276 Le Kremlin-Bicêtre, France   Fax.+33 (1) 53 14 59 22   didier@xemacs.org

* Re: The etc directory
@ 2006-09-06 15:23 ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2006-09-06 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Didier Verna <didier@lrde.epita.fr> writes:
> I'm afraid of fixing this without knowing if it also affects GNU Emacs (I
> don't know if GNU Emacs uses the stuff in etc/).

What exactly is your proposed "fix"?

> Besides, this raises an aside question: gnus seems to only use etc/
> for images, in which case having etc/images/gnus is logical. However,
> maybe having etc/gnus directly would also make sense (or perhaps only
> in the future when something else than glyphs would be added).

Gnus is also distributed as part of Emacs, in which case there's much
more in etc, and many other images (in etc/images) besides Gnus images.
The gnus directories are designed to fit into this scheme.

-Miles

--
(\(\
(^.^)

* Re: The etc directory
@ 2006-09-06 19:47   ` Didier Verna
From: Didier Verna @ 2006-09-06 19:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Miles Bader <miles@gnu.org> wrote:

> Didier Verna <didier@lrde.epita.fr> writes:
>> I'm afraid of fixing this without knowing if it also affects GNU Emacs (I
>> don't know if GNU Emacs uses the stuff in etc/).
>
> What exactly is your proposed "fix"?

        Don't know yet. The quick'n dirty fix I used was to create etc/gnus as
a symlink to /etc/images/gnus, but I should investigate the code and see where
the etc directory is used and how it is computed.

>> Besides, this raises an aside question: gnus seems to only use etc/
>> for images, in which case having etc/images/gnus is logical. However,
>> maybe having etc/gnus directly would also make sense (or perhaps only
>> in the future when something else than glyphs would be added).
>
> Gnus is also distributed as part of Emacs, in which case there's much
> more in etc, and many other images (in etc/images) besides Gnus images.
> The gnus directories are designed to fit into this scheme.

        That's all very nice, but I still don't know if there's and etc/gnus
directory in the Emacs distribution, or if gnus only uses etc/images/gnus. But
anyway. There's a very good chance that I"ll find the origin of the problem in
a *-xmacs-*.el of some kind, so this won't affect GNU Emacs users.

--

@ 2006-09-06 20:42     ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2006-09-06 20:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Sep 06 2006, Didier Verna wrote:

>         That's all very nice, but I still don't know if there's and
> etc/gnus directory in the Emacs distribution, or if gnus only uses
> etc/images/gnus.

There's $prefix/share/emacs/22.0.50/etc/gnus-tut.txt but no etc/gnus
directory in Emacs (CVS).

But I wonder why no XEmacs user complained earlier.  The rearrangement
of etc/ was in February 2005 [1] and since then there haven't been any
change WRT this, IIRC.

Bye, Reiner.

Footnotes:
[1]
,----

`----
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: The etc directory
@ 2006-09-07  5:51       ` Steve Youngs
From: Steve Youngs @ 2006-09-07  5:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Reiner Steib <reinersteib+gmane@imap.cc> writes:

  > But I wonder why no XEmacs user complained earlier.  The rearrangement
  > of etc/ was in February 2005 [1] and since then there haven't been any
  > change WRT this, IIRC.

Maybe, like me, they never do `make install' as they'd rather put the
files in the correct locations (as per XEmacs package hierarchy). :-)

--
|---<Steve Youngs>---------------<GnuPG KeyID: A94B3003>---|
|                 I am Dyslexic of Borg.                   |

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 312 bytes --]

* Re: The etc directory
@ 2006-09-07  6:54       ` Didier Verna
From: Didier Verna @ 2006-09-07  6:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Reiner Steib <reinersteib+gmane@imap.cc> wrote:

> But I wonder why no XEmacs user complained earlier. The rearrangement of
> etc/ was in February 2005 [1] and since then there haven't been any change
> WRT this, IIRC.

        I'm installing Gnus from CVS. Most XEmacs users probably use the
packaged version which has an installation of its own. As for why *I* didn't
notice the problem earlier, I just figured it out:

I had the xemacs package version installed in
/usr/local/share/xemacs/xemacs-packages/, and the CVS one in
/usr/local/share/xemacs/site-packages/ until yesterday. My site-packages Gnus
couldn't find its own etc/ directory (presumably since Feb 2005), but found
the xemacs-package installation ... Weird hey ? That's because etc/ discovery
is made by scanning the load-path which contained the two installation places.

--

@ 2006-09-07 15:30         ` Steven E. Harris
From: Steven E. Harris @ 2006-09-07 15:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Steve Youngs <steve@sxemacs.org> writes:

> they'd rather put the files in the correct locations (as per XEmacs
> package hierarchy).

Which is where?

I've run into the same problem with trying to place the etc directory
on a fresh installation, using --prefix to put the CVS-pulled build
into ~/usr/local.

If I remember correctly, Gnus scans for its images by taking every
entry on the load path, popping up a directory (out of, say,
"site-packages/lisp/gnus" to "site-packages/lisp"), then looking for
"etc/gnus" below. For instance, gnus-xmas-glyph-directory is
initialized as follows:

  (message-xmas-find-glyph-directory "gnus") ->
  (nnheader-find-etc-directory "gnus")
  -> "$PREFIX/lib/xemacs/site-packages/lisp/etc/gnus/"

In my current installation, I had to manually link

  $PREFIX/lib/xemacs/site-packages/lisp/etc/ ->
  $PREFIX/lib/xemacs/site-packages/etc/

for nnheader-find-etc-directory to work. Elsewhere, though,
gnus-group-startup-message calls (nnheader-find-etc-directory
"images/gnus"), which required me to create this link

  $PREFIX/lib/xemacs/site-packages/etc/gnus ->
  $PREFIX/lib/xemacs/site-packages/etc/images/gnus

to get things to work. Or maybe that last one wasn't necessary.
The function gmm-image-load-path-for-library also contains some
sniffing around under the etc directory.

I'm always reluctant to start from scratch for fear of having to
reestablish these links. What am I doing wrong?

--
Steven E. Harris