* Number of articles in nnml group
@ 2007-04-05 14:57 Norman Walsh
From: Norman Walsh @ 2007-04-05 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

I have a couple of nnml groups for spam, one for caught spam
(misc.spam.dspam) and one for missed spam (misc.spam).

Over the years, there have been tens of thousands of messages in those
folders so, even though I've deleted them all, trying to enter them
always asked me how many messages I wanted to read.

Tired of that, I deleted them (C-u G DEL).

I quit gnus and looked through .gnus, .newsrc.eld, .gnus.registry.eld,
~/Mail/active and couldn't find any reference to them.

But next time messages were put in them, gnus seemed to remember the
huge number of messages that had been in there (even though message
numbers started at 1 again).

Where's the old value cached???

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

--
Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> | All the world's a stage and most of us
http://nwalsh.com/            | are desperately unrehearsed.--Sean
                              | O'Casey

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 188 bytes --]

* Re: Number of articles in nnml group
@ 2007-04-05 17:23 ` David Z Maze
From: David Z Maze @ 2007-04-05 17:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> writes:

> I quit gnus and looked through .gnus, .newsrc.eld, .gnus.registry.eld,
> ~/Mail/active and couldn't find any reference to them.
>
> But next time messages were put in them, gnus seemed to remember the
> huge number of messages that had been in there (even though message
> numbers started at 1 again).
>
> Where's the old value cached???

Possibly in ~/Mail/misc/spam/.marks?

(If you're hunting around in the nnml tree directly, I've also noticed
cases where there are article files that aren't listed in .overview.
It's probably about three lines of Perl to find them, or I can
nnml-generate-nov-databases, but I don't think it's a huge number of
messages.  I suspect they appear if Emacs dies an unfortunate death
while I'm leaving a group, which has happened occasionally due to
crappy network and what not over the past 9-or-so years.)

  --dzm

* Re: Number of articles in nnml group
@ 2007-04-05 17:33   ` Norman Walsh
From: Norman Walsh @ 2007-04-05 17:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

/ David Z Maze <dmaze@MIT.EDU> was heard to say:
| Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> writes:
|
|> I quit gnus and looked through .gnus, .newsrc.eld, .gnus.registry.eld,
|> ~/Mail/active and couldn't find any reference to them.
|>
|> But next time messages were put in them, gnus seemed to remember the
|> huge number of messages that had been in there (even though message
|> numbers started at 1 again).
|>
|> Where's the old value cached???
|
| Possibly in ~/Mail/misc/spam/.marks?

Nope. I checked, the ~/Mail/misc/spam/dspam directory was totally gone.
But I see now that it's been recreated with

((read (1 . 104522)))

I just can't figure out where the 104522 was cached. :-(

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

--
Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> | Necessity is the mother of
http://nwalsh.com/            | self-delusion.--Hugh Laurie

@ 2007-04-06  7:13 ` Didier Verna
From: Didier Verna @ 2007-04-06  7:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Norman Walsh; +Cc: ding

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> wrote:

> I have a couple of nnml groups for spam, one for caught spam
> (misc.spam.dspam) and one for missed spam (misc.spam).
>
> Over the years, there have been tens of thousands of messages in those
> folders so, even though I've deleted them all, trying to enter them
> always asked me how many messages I wanted to read.

        In such cases, you might also want to compact your groups. See
gnus-group-compact-group and gnus-server-compact-server.

--
Didier Verna, didier@lrde.epita.fr, http://www.lrde.epita.fr/~didier

EPITA / LRDE, 14-16 rue Voltaire   Tel.+33 (1) 44 08 01 85
94276 Le Kremlin-Bicêtre, France   Fax.+33 (1) 53 14 59 22   didier@xemacs.org