From: Didier Verna <didier@xemacs.org>
To: <ding@gnus.org>
Subject: Re: Mixing whitespace and topical changes
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 15:17:03 +0200	[thread overview]

Reiner Steib <reinersteib+gmane@imap.cc> wrote:

> please avoid committing lots of whitespace changes mixed with topical
> changes.

                Reiner,

        I can understand your concern (I guess it mainly has to do with
synchronizing between the GNU Emacs version and the CVS version), but
I'm not ready to change my setup (all whitespace cleanup is done
automatically and I never see them in diffs) until this issue has been
officially resolved. I've tried to raise it several times in the past
but didn't get any interest from anybody. Note that I will accept
whatever decision the majority adopts, even if it goes against me :-)

Let me restate my position: I believe that the right thing to do is to
have whitespace-cleanup on write-file-hooks for everybody committing to
Gnus. This is simple to achieve, this effectively removes any such
problems and this makes the files [automatically] cleaner. There's also
the question of the info files on which I only got a "I've heard that it
is better this way" sort of message.[1]

Sorry to be a little pushy on this, but whitespace.el functions on a
major-mode basis and not on a file-name basis, so I would need some
trickery to make it stop working on Gnus files, so I really want a
discussion about this before.

Footnotes:
[1]  FWIW, texinfo-mode is on whitespace-modes by default, and I'd never
heard any complaint about this until a few days ago.

--
Didier Verna, didier@lrde.epita.fr, http://www.lrde.epita.fr/~didier

EPITA / LRDE, 14-16 rue Voltaire   Tel.+33 (1) 44 08 01 85
94276 Le Kremlin-Bicêtre, France   Fax.+33 (1) 53 14 59 22   didier@xemacs.org