* "make install" should install *.el files, too
@ 2001-10-05 19:07 Kai Großjohann
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-10-05 19:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

What do you think?  I think that the *.el files are important
documentation, cf. the command M-x find-function RET.

kai
--
Abort this operation?   [OK]  [Cancel]

* Re: "make install" should install *.el files, too
@ 2001-10-05 19:37 ` Henrik Enberg
From: Henrik Enberg @ 2001-10-05 19:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

> What do you think?  I think that the *.el files are important
> documentation, cf. the command M-x find-function RET.

I agree, th `make install-el' command is annoying.  When you use it,
Emacs complains about the .el files being newer than the .elc files.

Henrik
--
I just forgot my whole philosophy of life!!!

* Re: "make install" should install *.el files, too
@ 2001-10-05 23:13 ` Samuel Padgett
From: Samuel Padgett @ 2001-10-05 23:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

> What do you think?  I think that the *.el files are important
> documentation, cf. the command M-x find-function RET.

I agree.

FWIW, I believe Emacs itself installs the *.el files when you run
"make install".  You don't have to run a special command.

Sam
--
May all your PUSHes be POPped.

* Re: "make install" should install *.el files, too
@ 2001-10-06  8:42   ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-10-06  8:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Samuel Padgett <spadgett1@nc.rr.com> writes:

> Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Kai Großjohann) writes:
>
>> What do you think?  I think that the *.el files are important
>> documentation, cf. the command M-x find-function RET.
>
> I agree.

Just to add another opinion to this thread, we could also stipulate
that it is best to run Gnus without installing it.  (That's what I do
-- I just ./configure, then make, without make install.  I just add
the lisp directory to load-path.)

Thoughts?

kai
--

@ 2001-10-08  8:17 ` Didier Verna
From: Didier Verna @ 2001-10-08  8:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Kai Großjohann) wrote:

> What do you think?  I think that the *.el files are important
> documentation, cf. the command M-x find-function RET.

        Sure.

--
Didier Verna, didier@lrde.epita.fr, http://www.lrde.epita.fr/~didier

EPITA / LRDE, 14-16 rue Voltaire   Tel.+33 (1) 53 14 59 47
94276 Le Kremlin-Bicêtre, France   Fax.+33 (1) 44 08 01 99   didier@xemacs.org