* On loosing marks in nntp groups...
@ 2007-05-14  8:44 Didier Verna
From: Didier Verna @ 2007-05-14  8:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gnus Beta Testers

        Hi !

I'd already reported this problem some time ago, but this morning I
figured out the cause. I don't have time to look for a fix right now,
but anybody else is welcome to try :-) In the meantime I just wanted to
report the origin of the problem back to the list.

I have a group in which more than 200 articles are ticked. All of them
are also in the cache (they appear denoted as !* in the summary buffer),
bit *most* of them are now gone from the server.

When I enter the summary buffer, gnus-select-newsgroup calls
gnus-fetch-headers to retrieve the headers for these articles, and gets
a bunch of "no such article" errors back. One way or another, what's
left (and saved) in the marks are only the articles still present on the
server.

At first sight, gnus-fetch-headers should probably look in the cache
before actually trying to talk to the server...

--
Read the Jazz Blog !! http://jazzblog.didierverna.com

Didier Verna, didier@lrde.epita.fr, http://www.lrde.epita.fr/~didier

EPITA / LRDE, 14-16 rue Voltaire   Tel.+33 (1) 44 08 01 85
94276 Le Kremlin-Bicêtre, France   Fax.+33 (1) 53 14 59 22   didier@xemacs.org

* Re: On loosing marks in nntp groups...
@ 2007-05-14  9:52 ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2007-05-14  9:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> I'd already reported this problem some time ago, but this morning I
> figured out the cause. I don't have time to look for a fix right now,
> but anybody else is welcome to try :-) In the meantime I just wanted to
> report the origin of the problem back to the list.

> I have a group in which more than 200 articles are ticked. All of them
> are also in the cache (they appear denoted as !* in the summary buffer),
> bit *most* of them are now gone from the server.

> When I enter the summary buffer, gnus-select-newsgroup calls
> gnus-fetch-headers to retrieve the headers for these articles, and gets
> a bunch of "no such article" errors back. One way or another, what's
> left (and saved) in the marks are only the articles still present on the
> server.

> At first sight, gnus-fetch-headers should probably look in the cache
> before actually trying to talk to the server...

`gnus-fetch-headers' calls `gnus-retrieve-headers', which looks
to look in the cache first if `gnus-use-cache' is non-nil and
Gnus knows articles to be fetched.  Of course Gnus knows them
that are ticked and cached in such a case.  Actually I have such
articles (ticked and cached but expired in the server) but have
no problem.  It is because `gnus-use-cache' is `passive' in my
case, maybe.

Regards,

* Re: On loosing marks in nntp groups...
@ 2007-05-14 10:07   ` Didier Verna
From: Didier Verna @ 2007-05-14 10:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Katsumi Yamaoka; +Cc: ding

Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org> wrote:

> `gnus-fetch-headers' calls `gnus-retrieve-headers', which looks to
> look in the cache first if `gnus-use-cache' is non-nil and Gnus knows
> articles to be fetched. Of course Gnus knows them that are ticked and
> cached in such a case. Actually I have such articles (ticked and
> cached but expired in the server) but have no problem. It is because
> `gnus-use-cache' is `passive' in my case, maybe.

        I also have gnus-use-cache to 'passive. So the problem is
elsewhere ? Damn.

--

@ 2007-05-21  2:30 ` Dan Nicolaescu
From: Dan Nicolaescu @ 2007-05-21  2:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gnus Beta Testers

Didier Verna <didier@xemacs.org> writes:

  >         Hi !
  >
  > I'd already reported this problem some time ago, but this morning I
  > figured out the cause. I don't have time to look for a fix right now,
  > but anybody else is welcome to try :-) In the meantime I just wanted to
  > report the origin of the problem back to the list.
  >
  > I have a group in which more than 200 articles are ticked. All of them
  > are also in the cache (they appear denoted as !* in the summary buffer),
  > bit *most* of them are now gone from the server.
  >
  > When I enter the summary buffer, gnus-select-newsgroup calls
  > gnus-fetch-headers to retrieve the headers for these articles, and gets
  > a bunch of "no such article" errors back. One way or another, what's
  > left (and saved) in the marks are only the articles still present on the
  > server.
  >
  > At first sight, gnus-fetch-headers should probably look in the cache
  > before actually trying to talk to the server...

I am seeing the same problem, what is interesting is that the marks
are only lost if I have unread articles in the group and I press "c"
to exit the group. If the last action before leaving the group is to
visit an article, the marks are not lost....

* Re: On loosing marks in nntp groups...
@ 2007-05-28  9:55   ` Didier Verna
From: Didier Verna @ 2007-05-28  9:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Nicolaescu; +Cc: Gnus Beta Testers

Dan Nicolaescu <dann@ics.uci.edu> wrote:

> I am seeing the same problem, what is interesting is that the marks
> are only lost if I have unread articles in the group and I press "c"
> to exit the group. If the last action before leaving the group is to
> visit an article, the marks are not lost....

        I've recently reconstructed my list of ticked articles by hand
(copying the output of ls in the directory right into the marks file)
and for now, I don't see the problem anymore. So it's possible that the
bug lies in the handling of ranges too (that would be a serious problem).

--

@ 2007-07-04 10:03     ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2007-07-04 10:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> I have a group in which more than 200 articles are ticked. All of them
> are also in the cache (they appear denoted as !* in the summary buffer),
> bit *most* of them are now gone from the server.

> When I enter the summary buffer, gnus-select-newsgroup calls
> gnus-fetch-headers to retrieve the headers for these articles, and gets
> a bunch of "no such article" errors back. One way or another, what's
> left (and saved) in the marks are only the articles still present on the
> server.

I've possibly fixed this bug, though I'm not quite sure of it
since I didn't see "no such article" errors.  See the article:

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.gnus.general/64874

* Re: On loosing marks in nntp groups...
@ 2007-07-04 12:08       ` Didier Verna
From: Didier Verna @ 2007-07-04 12:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Katsumi Yamaoka; +Cc: ding

Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org> wrote:

> I've possibly fixed this bug, though I'm not quite sure of it
> since I didn't see "no such article" errors.  See the article:
>
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.gnus.general/64874

  OK. I'll see if the problem occurs again in the future. Thanks.

--
MySpace: http://www.myspace.com/didierverna