Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Kai Großjohann) writes: > Two issues come to my mind. First of all, what happens if you have > "%%s" in the string? I think that this function is buggy in that > case. Secondly, converting the string to a buffer and then (for > gnus-replace-in-string) back to a string does not appear to be very > efficient. You're right on both counts. > Maybe you could search for the regexp "%[%s]", the look at > match-string (that's what actually matched the regex) and do > different things depending on that. Does this make sense? It does. I've updated the patch (attached) to do the following: 1. Adds a customisation variable gnus-make-format-preserve-properties, which allows the user to switch the behaviour off if they don't need/want it. 2. Rewrote the format replacement function to take into account your comments, and added support for pad widths (%10s), as they can occur if gnus-use-correct-string-widths is nil. I didn't do precision (%.5s) as that should never happen. Otherwise, it does the same as the previous one. Cheers, Paul. -- This signature intentionally left blank