From: Richard Riley <rileyrg@googlemail.com>
To: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: agent/fetch only articles from certain levels
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2011 09:15:44 +0200	[thread overview]

> On Sat, 26 Mar 2011 08:45:15 +0100, Richard wrote:
>
>> asjo@koldfront.dk (Adam Sjøgren) writes:
>
>>> What I got from reading it is that groups from servers in select-method
>>> and secondary-select-methods are called native and other groups are
>>> called foreign. Seems quite straightforward?
>
>> Except they the are not. Since the gnus-activate-foreign-newsgroups
>> applies to groups created from secondary select methods.
>
> So the manual is wrong and you have a better understanding - which puts
> you in an excellent position to improve the manual. Thanks in advance!
>
>   Best regards,
>
>     Adam

You continually mention people being confused with the manual rewriting it.

This discussion is to clarify how it is, how it should or maybe just how
to improve it. If I knew how it should and could work for the masses
perhaps I could do this. As it is I see this discussion with Eric as a
valuable "real use" exercise and discussion in honing Gnus to work
better for the end user. I dont have the solutions just on my own
limited experience so changing the manual would seem a tad premature
considering its me learning how gnus works. It never ceases to amaze me
how others use the same features. All I know is that at this minute
using agent in a cost restricted "mostly disconnected" arena its
confusing and a few things simply dont work (see multiple IMAP selection
methods mentioned earlier).

In the case above how would I correct the manual? Perhaps the code is
wrong? Perhaps the concept is wrong. I dont know. What I do know is that
its not clear and the discussion with Eric is helping to clarify end
user use cases which might lead to either bug fixes, manual changes
and/or functionality redesign.

If you can comment on that then please do.

Thanks in advance!

;)