* score bug in gnus-summary-save-newsrc
@ 1997-03-05 22:42 Colin Rafferty
From: Colin Rafferty @ 1997-03-05 22:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Howdy-

I just noticed that `gnus-summary-save-newsrc' computes and saves an
adaptive score every time it is called.  This causes incorrect scoring,
since `gnus-summary-exit' also does this.

This is really a problem since I am paranoid, and have the following
form in my .gnus.el:

(add-hook 'gnus-select-article-hook 'gnus-summary-save-newsrc)

What it should do is get rid of adaptive scores that it saved in the
current reading session.

Here is an example.  I had about 20 unread articles in list.ding.  Four
of them had "CVS'r'us" as the subject.  I read each of the four, and
then another 15.  Here is the *Score Trace* for one of them:

> ("Lars Balker Rasmussen <gnort@daimi.aau.dk>" 73 729088 s)  ->  ADAPT
> ("CVS'r'us" 120 729088 f)  ->  ADAPT
> ("CVS'r'us" 120 729088 f)  ->  ADAPT
> ("CVS'r'us" 120 729088 f)  ->  ADAPT
> ("CVS'r'us" 120 729088 f)  ->  ADAPT
> ("CVS'r'us" 120 729088 f)  ->  ADAPT
> ("CVS'r'us" 120 729088 f)  ->  ADAPT
> ("CVS'r'us" 120 729088 f)  ->  ADAPT
> ("CVS'r'us" 120 729088 f)  ->  ADAPT
> ("CVS'r'us" 120 729088 f)  ->  ADAPT
> ("CVS'r'us" 120 729088 f)  ->  ADAPT
> ("CVS'r'us" 120 729088 f)  ->  ADAPT
> ("CVS'r'us" 120 729088 f)  ->  ADAPT
> ("CVS'r'us" 120 729088 f)  ->  ADAPT
> ("CVS'r'us" 120 729088 f)  ->  ADAPT
> ("CVS'r'us" 120 729088 f)  ->  ADAPT
> ("CVS'r'us" 120 729088 f)  ->  ADAPT
> ("CVS'r'us" 90 729088 f)  ->  ADAPT
> ("CVS'r'us" 60 729088 f)  ->  ADAPT
> ("CVS'r'us" 30 729088 f)  ->  ADAPT
> ("^re: " -5 nil r)  ->  SCORE

The actual *Score Trace* should be:

> ("Lars Balker Rasmussen <gnort@daimi.aau.dk>" 73 729088 s)  ->  ADAPT
> ("CVS'r'us" 120 729088 f)  ->  ADAPT
> ("^re: " -5 nil r)  ->  SCORE

I know that I was one of the requesters for `gnus-summary-save-newsrc'.
However, I think that saving read/unread was the necessity.  Adaptive
scoring is only icing on the cake.

This is Gnus v5.4.12 in XEmacs 20.1r1.

--
Colin

only message in thread, other threads:[~1997-03-05 22:42 UTC | newest]