From: Colin Rafferty <craffert@spspme.ml.com>
Subject: Re: expiration broken???
Date: 18 Dec 1996 18:06:39 -0500	[thread overview]

Andreas Kaempf writes:

> i have been trying for quit a while to get the expiration process
> working on my mail articles without avail and am wondering is it me or
> is something broken...

> what i want to do is expire articles that come in immediately and not
> have them written to disk...  or if that is not possibel have them
> expire at some time...

They will always be written to disk, since you have to read them before
they get expired.

> i have read the manual and have the following in my .gnus but it does
> expire the articles in the summary buffer by putting an "E" next to it
> but it does not get rid of them from the disk...

See below for the correct `nnmail-expiry-wait-function' (which is the
real problem).  I will

> (setq nnmail-delete-incoming t)

The deletes the Incomingxxm0005x files, not the mail articles.  You
probably want to leave this `nil' and delete the files in `cron'.

> ;; this does not work or even expire articles in the summary buffer
> (setq gnus-total-expirable-newsgroups t)

> (setq nnmail-split-methods
> 	     '(("xemacs"  "^\\(To\\|Cc\\):.*xemacs*")
> [...]

This is correct (as you know).

> ;; then i tried this and it does not work
> (setq gnus-total-expirable-newsgroups "TM\\|Misc\\|andreas")

This should be correct.  Note that it will not mark articles with `E'
since it expires everything (except `!' and `*').

> ;; this works in summary buffer by making everything expired
> (setq gnus-auto-expirable-newsgroups "xemacs\\|ntemacs\\|fvwm\\|tvro\\|TM\\|ding_gnus\\|ding_bug\\|andreas\\|Misc")

If you really want total (which most people do), don't bother with
auto.  This will mark everything `E', and that will cause adaptive
scoring to lose big.

> ;; this does not seem to work as articles are still being out in mail
> ;;directories
> (setq nnmail-expiry-wait-function
> 	(lambda (group)
> 	  (cond ((string= group "TM\\|Misc\\|andreas")
> 	          'immediate)
>                 (t
>                  6))))

Don't use `string=' with a regexp; use `string-match'.  Try this:

(setq nnmail-expiry-wait-function
      (lambda (newsgroup)
        (cond ((string-match "TM\\|Misc\\|andreas" newsgroup) 'immediate)
	      (t 6))))

> i also ran "C-c M-C-x" as suggested but i still leaves articles in dir

Because of `nnmail-expiry-wait-function'.  Everything is waiting six days.

> any help would be appreciated...

No problem.  Let me know if this all works.

--
Colin