* total number of articles in topics
@ 1996-03-05 21:48 Colin Rafferty
From: Colin Rafferty @ 1996-03-05 21:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have (setq gnus-topic-unique nil), and I see that groups are being
(erroneously) counted each time they are mentioned.  For example, the
"Gnus -- 7" below should be "Gnus -- 4":

[ Gnus -- 7 ]
  [ misc -- 0 ]
       1: Misc misc                            5 Mar 14:16
  [ freedom -- 3 ]
       3: Internet censorship issues           5 Mar 13:21
  [ lists -- 3 ]
       3: Internet censorship issues           5 Mar 13:21
  [ personal -- 0 ]

I think that the correct behavior should be the same as "du" dealing
with hard links.

I am using 0.49, but I have seen this behavior since I moved to sgnus,
but its irritation factor has only just now broken my mailing threshold.

--
Colin Rafferty
Violate the Communications Decency Act.

* Re: total number of articles in topics
@ 1996-03-06 18:01 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-03-06 18:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

dhall@illusion.apk.net (d. hall) writes:

> I've been reading some old archive files as to making the .newsrc.eld file
> portable and I think Lars you specified that you might save Message-ID's.
> Would this involve saving just the start and end point of each consistant
> block (i.e. the first/last and each end point of a "gap").

I don't know, really.  I don't think that'll be sufficient.

>  This might reduce the .newsrc.eld file to a managable size.  I got
> shivers the first time I read that you'd be saving Message-ID's.

Well, it's only meant to be used when one moves from one server to
another.  Using something like that when reading news normally would
be impossible.  The sheer amount of data needed to be processed would
kill off Emacs and all other processes in the near vicinity.

* Re: total number of articles in topics
@ 1996-03-05 23:30 d. hall
From: d. hall @ 1996-03-05 23:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

--
       ``Yes, I think "toast" is an appropriate description.''

                                ~ jaya ballard, task mage