* Resequencing mail to remove numbering gaps
@ 1996-03-19 17:08 Muhammad Farrukh Khan
From: Muhammad Farrukh Khan @ 1996-03-19 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

How do I do it?  Over time, the sequence numbers just keep increasing, with
gaps within the sequence.  Respooling just starts where it ended last,
disregarding the gaps.

Thanks

Muhammad Farrukh Khan, khan@cs.purdue.edu

* Re: Resequencing mail to remove numbering gaps
@ 1996-03-19 18:22 ` Colin Rafferty
From: Colin Rafferty @ 1996-03-19 18:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Muhammad Farrukh Khan

Muhammad Farrukh Khan writes:

> How do I do it?  Over time, the sequence numbers just keep increasing, with
> gaps within the sequence.  Respooling just starts where it ended last,
> disregarding the gaps.

Select group with all the articles.  Mark all of them `M P b', and then
move them `B m' into the same group.  This should be a lot faster than
respooling, since you already know where they all belong.

This will still end up numbering them higher than they used to be, but
there will be no gaps, so the active range will be smaller.

I do this once in a while with my mailing lists, since the gaps can get
pretty huge.

--
Colin Rafferty
Violate the Communications Decency Act.

"...shit, piss, fuck, cunt, cocksucker, mother-fucker, and tits."
                  -FCC v. Pacifica Foundation 438 U.S. 726 (1978)