* Clicking on URLs
@ 1998-02-17 18:47 Jake Colman
From: Jake Colman @ 1998-02-17 18:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

I _know_ that this used to work and I can't figure out what I migt have changed
or what I should be doing differently so I'm forced to post what is probably an
RTFM question.

Shouldn't something happen if I click mouse-2 on a URL?  Shouldn;t it invoke W3
(by default) and display the web page at that URL?  When I try this, nothing at
all happens.  I know that W3 is working correctly so I am at a loss as to what
the problem is.

--
Jake Colman

Principia Partners LLC          |        Phone: (201) 946-0300
Harborside Financial Center     |          Fax: (201) 946-0320
902 Plaza II                    |       Beeper: (800) 505-2795
Jersey City, NJ 07311           |       E-mail: colman@ppllc.com
                                |          web: http://www.ppllc.com

* Re: Clicking on URLs
@ 1998-02-17 19:10 ` Hrvoje Niksic
From: Hrvoje Niksic @ 1998-02-17 19:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jake Colman <colman@ppllc.com> writes:

> I _know_ that this used to work and I can't figure out what I migt
> have changed or what I should be doing differently so I'm forced to
> post what is probably an RTFM question.
>
> Shouldn't something happen if I click mouse-2 on a URL?  Shouldn;t
> it invoke W3 (by default) and display the web page at that URL?
> When I try this, nothing at all happens.  I know that W3 is working
> correctly so I am at a loss as to what the problem is.

What is the value of `browse-url-browser-function'?

--
Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr> | Student at FER Zagreb, Croatia
--------------------------------+--------------------------------

* Re: Clicking on URLs
@ 1998-02-17 20:40 ` Colin Rafferty
From: Colin Rafferty @ 1998-02-17 20:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jake Colman writes:

> Shouldn't something happen if I click mouse-2 on a URL?  Shouldn;t it invoke W3
> (by default) and display the web page at that URL?  When I try this, nothing at
> all happens.  I know that W3 is working correctly so I am at a loss as to what
> the problem is.

If you are using TM to display MIME messages, it trashes all the widget
information that Gnus is putting in the *Article* buffer.

You can use this message as a test, since this is a MIME message.

Switch into the *Article* buffer, move to the beginning, and hit TAB a
few times.  If your cursor moves among the email addresses and the
following urls, then Hrvoje's guess is correct.

    http://www.salon1999.com/comics/comics1.html
    http://www.unitedmedia.com/comics/dilbert/
    http://www.calvert.com/sfdt/sfdt.html

If hitting TAB did nothing, then it's because you are using TM.

Unfortunately, I don't know what you can do about it other than stop
using TM.

--
Colin

* Re: Clicking on URLs
@ 1998-02-17 22:56   ` Karl Kleinpaste
From: Karl Kleinpaste @ 1998-02-17 22:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Colin Rafferty <craffert@ml.com> writes:
> If you are using TM to display MIME messages, it trashes all the widget
> information that Gnus is putting in the *Article* buffer.

???

> Switch into the *Article* buffer, move to the beginning, and hit TAB a
> few times.  If your cursor moves among the email addresses and the
> following urls, then Hrvoje's guess is correct.
> If hitting TAB did nothing, then it's because you are using TM.

Hm.  I use TM, and when I move into *Article* and hit TAB, nothing
happens.  `C-h c TAB' says it runs mime-viewer/next-content.  But I
can nonetheless middle-button on any highlighted URL; netscape reacts
on Gnus' behalf.

My browse-url-browser-function is set to 'browse-url-netscape.

confused,
--karl

* Re: Clicking on URLs
@ 1998-02-18 16:23     ` Colin Rafferty
From: Colin Rafferty @ 1998-02-18 16:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Karl Kleinpaste writes:
> Colin Rafferty <craffert@ml.com> writes:

>> If you are using TM to display MIME messages, it trashes all the widget
>> information that Gnus is putting in the *Article* buffer.

> ???

>> Switch into the *Article* buffer, move to the beginning, and hit TAB a
>> few times.  If your cursor moves among the email addresses and the
>> following urls, then Hrvoje's guess is correct.
>> If hitting TAB did nothing, then it's because you are using TM.

> Hm.  I use TM, and when I move into *Article* and hit TAB, nothing
> happens.  `C-h c TAB' says it runs mime-viewer/next-content.  But I
> can nonetheless middle-button on any highlighted URL; netscape reacts
> on Gnus' behalf.

> My browse-url-browser-function is set to 'browse-url-netscape.

> confused,

Not you, but me.

I hardly ever use my mouse, so since my TAB didn't work, I didn't try my
mouse.

Thanks a lot, Karl.

--
Colin