* nnml
@ 1996-06-06  8:35 Thomas Larsen
From: Thomas Larsen @ 1996-06-06  8:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm usinge the nnml backend to read my mail. To get rid of read mail,
I either expire the article or use B DEL. When I have received more
than 200 articles in a nnml group, I get prompted for how many
articles to show when entering it. The problem is that there are only
about 20 articles present in the group and it's quite annoying to get
prompted for this every time. Is there a way to fix this without
setting gnus-large-group to something very high? Can you somehow
renumber the articles in a group? I'm using Gnus 5.2.1.

--
Thomas Larsen

* Re: nnml
@ 1996-06-06 13:47 ` Richard Pieri
From: Richard Pieri @ 1996-06-06 13:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

--
Richard Pieri/Information Services \ Curiosity never killed anything, except
<ratinox@unilab.dfci.harvard.edu>   \ maybe a few hours. -A cat's guide to life

* Re: nnml
@ 1996-06-06 16:02   ` Thomas Larsen
From: Thomas Larsen @ 1996-06-06 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Richard Pieri <ratinox@unilab.dfci.harvard.edu> writes:
|  >>>>> "TL" == Thomas Larsen <lath@interlink.no> writes:
|
|  TL> When I have received more than 200 articles in a nnml group, I get
|  TL> prompted for how many articles to show when entering it. The problem
|  TL> is that there are only about 20 articles present in the group and
|  TL> it's quite annoying to get prompted for this every time.
|
|  Um... that simply does not happen.  Do you mean that you have 200+
|  previously spooled but marked as unread or ticked mesages in the group
|  and you receive 20 more more recently, and want to read just those 20?

Sorry, but I didn't explain good enough. I have some groups that has
received more than 200 articles. I have been using B DEL to get rid of
old articles and now have about 20 articles left in these
groups. These articles are marked as read. Then, when I try to enter
the group, Gnus prompts me for a number of articles. It may say that
the dafult is 250, but since I have deleted them, only 20 or so
exists on my disk. That's what's bugging me.

Do you understand better now?

|  TL> Is there a way to fix this without setting gnus-large-group to
|  TL> something very high?
|
|  Gnus does not care when messages arrive; if you have 200+ unread
|  messages in a group, it sees 200+ unread messages in that group.  If you
|  do not want older messages to be counted you must mark them as read or
|  expirable.

As I said above, there are only 20 read articles left in the group.

BTW: What do you use to cite messages? I liked your setup :-)

--
Thomas Larsen

* Re: nnml
@ 1996-06-06 22:41 ` Colin Rafferty
From: Colin Rafferty @ 1996-06-06 22:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thomas Larsen writes:

> When I have received more than 200 articles in a nnml group, I get
> prompted for how many articles to show when entering it.  The problem
> is that there are only about 20 articles present in the group.

The actual problem is that you have articles numbered all over the
place.  You need to renumber the articles.

> Can you somehow renumber the articles in a group?

Funny you should ask; that is the correct solution.

Enter the group, mark all articles, and then move them all to the
current group.  If they were spread out between 1 and 200, they will now
all be numbered consecutively starting at 201.

--
Colin

* Re: nnml
@ 1996-06-06 23:10   ` Ken Raeburn
From: Ken Raeburn @ 1996-06-06 23:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

> TL> Can you somehow renumber the articles in a group?
>
> Mark all messages in the group, move them to a temporary group, move
> them back.

Can this be done without breaking the xref info?

* Re: nnml
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-06-06 23:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ken Raeburn <raeburn@cygnus.com> writes:

> Richard Pieri <ratinox@unilab.dfci.harvard.edu> writes:

> > Mark all messages in the group, move them to a temporary group, move
> > them back.

Or just move them to the same group.

> Can this be done without breaking the xref info?

Well -- if these are Xreffed from a different group, this'll break the
Xref info in the other groups.  That is, if you (after renumbering the
articles) read the articles in a different group, they won't be marked
as read in the renumbered group.

  larsi@ifi.uio.no * Lars Ingebrigtsen

* Re: nnml
@ 1996-06-07 12:54     ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 1996-06-07 12:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

> BTW: What do you use to cite messages? I liked your setup :-)

Looks like he used supercite.