* Why no multiple *Article* buffers?
@ 1996-05-20 15:33 Scott Blachowicz
From: Scott Blachowicz @ 1996-05-20 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi-

As I was sitting here hitting `g' to get me an article and wondering why I
wasn't seeing anything, I remembered some discussion a while back talking
about multiple *Article* buffers and how they didn't exist.  I did some
poking around and found that I had managed to leave iconified a frame with
a different *Summary* buffer and *Article* buffer in it.

So, what possible use is it to have a single *Article* buffer to handle
multiple *Summary* buffers?  Or, rather, if my configuration is setup to
have *Summary* and *Article* buffers in the same frame, why shouldn't I
get multiple *Article* buffers if I can get multiple *Summary* buffers?
--
Scott Blachowicz  Ph: 206/283-8802x240   Mathsoft (Data Analysis Products Div)
                                         1700 Westlake Ave N #500

* Re: Why no multiple *Article* buffers?
@ 1996-05-20 17:44 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-05-20 17:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Scott Blachowicz <scott@statsci.com> writes:

> So, what possible use is it to have a single *Article* buffer to handle
> multiple *Summary* buffers?

Having multiple article buffers can be somewhat confusing.  At least I
thought so after I switched to multiple article buffers, which can be
done by setting `gnus-single-article-buffer' to nil.

* Re: Why no multiple *Article* buffers?
@ 1996-05-21  0:46   ` Colin Rafferty
From: Colin Rafferty @ 1996-05-21  0:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen writes:
> Scott Blachowicz <scott@statsci.com> writes:

>> So, what possible use is it to have a single *Article* buffer to handle
>> multiple *Summary* buffers?

> Having multiple article buffers can be somewhat confusing.  At least I
> thought so after I switched to multiple article buffers, which can be
> done by setting `gnus-single-article-buffer' to nil.

Agree with Scott, respectfully disagree with Lars.  As one of the major
testers of multiple article buffers, I can tell you that they make life
wonderful.  That is, if you are using multiple frames.  But if you are
not using multiple frames, you are not using Gnus to its full potential.

I have one virtual window in vtwm in which I do all mail/news reading.
The left half of the screen has a stack of emacs frames, each of which
holds a single summary/article pair of buffers for one group.

M-C-F9 lowers the current frame so that I can cycle through groups.
With all this, each Gnu frame has a matching *Summary* and *Article*,
and when I cycle frames, I see the actual articles.  A single *Article*
buffer would hopelessly confuse everything.

What I should really do is have `gnus-select-group-hook' change the
frame out from under Gnus, and have `gnus-summary-exit-hook' kill the
frame.  This would make life very cool (or very confusing).

--
Colin Rafferty

"The technophiles are taking us all on an utterly     |   "Whee!"
 reckless ride into the unknown."  -- Unabomber       |     -- Me