* Patch Request: automatic compressing
@ 1998-03-13 23:33 David Hedbor
From: David Hedbor @ 1998-03-13 23:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

A long time ago someone posted a patch on this list that caused Gnus
to automatically gzip incoming mails. Yesterday I upgraded to Gnus
5.6.2, and naturally I don't have the patch (and I don't feel like
trying to narrow down the few modified lines in my version). Also the
mailing list archive linked from http://www.gnus.org/ doesn't work. So
what I wonder is if anyone has that patch (and why it isn't an
optional part of the standard Gnus ;-).

I will have stay with my 5.4.65 until I can get it. Thanks!

--
[ Below is a random fortune, which is unrelated to the above message. ]
QOTD:

* reading compressed mail messages
@ 1998-04-14 22:52 ` Ken Raeburn
From: Ken Raeburn @ 1998-04-14 22:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

What's the "right" way to compress mail messages such that gnus will
deal with them?  How solid it is?  I've seen no documentation, and
only a little bit of code that appears to handle any suffixes that
were already set up to be handled by jka-compr at the time gnus was
loaded (meaning loading both then updating the suffix list does the
wrong thing).

*Is* it sufficient to just load jka-compr before gnus?  Will that deal
with all the places where gnus wants to read an article, test for
existence of an article, get a list of all articles, ...?  I don't
know anything about jka-compr, or the low-level details of file access
from gnus, but this seems like a basic enough feature that I shouldn't
need to be an expert to make it work.  Of course, you always need to
be an expert until an expert has worked the bugs out and documented
it....

I'd also like to second this comment from David Hedbor:

> A long time ago someone posted a patch on this list that caused Gnus
> to automatically gzip incoming mails. Yesterday I upgraded to Gnus
> 5.6.2, and naturally I don't have the patch (and I don't feel like
> trying to narrow down the few modified lines in my version). Also the
> mailing list archive linked from http://www.gnus.org/ doesn't work. So
> what I wonder is if anyone has that patch (and why it isn't an
						^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> optional part of the standard Gnus ;-).
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Seems like an excellent idea to me....

Ken

* Re: reading compressed mail messages
@ 1998-04-14 23:30   ` David Hedbor
From: David Hedbor @ 1998-04-14 23:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ken Raeburn <raeburn@cygnus.com> writes:

> What's the "right" way to compress mail messages such that gnus will
> deal with them?  How solid it is?  I've seen no documentation, and
> only a little bit of code that appears to handle any suffixes that
> were already set up to be handled by jka-compr at the time gnus was
> loaded (meaning loading both then updating the suffix list does the
> wrong thing).

Getting decompression to work is as easy as adding
(require 'jka-compr) to the beginning of your .emacs file. I had a
problem in the beginning, where I loaded jka-compr too late, so I now
have it first.

When it's loaded, automatic decompression works perfectly
fine. Compression is not done automatically however. I did apply
(after some munging) the previous patch which does that, and might be
able to make a new patch against the latest qgnus.

--
[ Below is a random fortune, which is unrelated to the above message. ]
Liar: