* Multiple gmal accounts and agent
@ 2011-06-22 14:39 Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2011-06-22 14:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nognus

Just a quick "ping" to see if there are any plans to address the issue
with multiple accounts on the same servers with the gnus agent? I
reported before how with a set up like below the agent gets confused and
all groups end up with the same counts:-

   (add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods
                '(nnimap "riley"
                         (nnir-search-engine imap)
                         (nnimap-address "imap.gmail.com")
                         ))
   (add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods
                '(nnimap "shamrockpub"
                         (nnir-search-engine imap)
                         (nnimap-address "imap.gmail.com")
                         ))

   (add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods
                '(nnimap "friends"
                         (nnir-search-engine imap)
                         (nnimap-address "imap.gmail.com")
                         ))

where riley, shamrockpub and friends all denote the authinfo machine
line.

I would love to use the agent but this set up doesnt work with it.

Apologies if I missed a workaround.

regards

r.

* Re: Multiple gmal accounts and agent
@ 2011-06-22 19:30 ` Tassilo Horn
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2011-06-22 19:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Riley; +Cc: nognus

Richard Riley <rileyrg@googlemail.com> writes:

Hi Riley,

>    (add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods
>                 '(nnimap "riley"
>    (add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods
>                 '(nnimap "shamrockpub"
>    (add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods
>                 '(nnimap "friends"
>
> where riley, shamrockpub and friends all denote the authinfo machine
> line.
>
> I would love to use the agent but this set up doesnt work with it.

Except that the agent doesn't work very well with imap at all (or did I
miss something?), what exactly doesn't work with your setup?

At a first glance, at least it seems to put its files into

  News/agent/<ServerName>/some/group/here/

so there shouldn't be clashes there...

Bye,
Tassilo
--
Sent from my Emacs

* Re: Multiple gmal accounts and agent
@ 2011-06-23 17:38   ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2011-06-23 17:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

[...]

> Except that the agent doesn't work very well with imap at all (or did I
> miss something?), what exactly doesn't work with your setup?

the agent works well enough with imap for me, so long as I ask gnus to
fetch the messages immediately after starting gnus.  so the usual steps
I do if I have been reading email is 1. quit gnus (q), 2. restart
gnus (M-x gnus RET) 3. fetch news (J s) 4. quit gnus (q) or go unplugged
(J j).

I'm actually responding to this email while unplugged (on the train)
having fetched this email earlier.  It will be sent when I get home...

If I don't quit gnus and restart before fetching, gnus does appear to be
confused about what news to fetch but the confusion is not deterministic
enough for me to reproduce at will.

--
: Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D) in Emacs 24.0.50.1 + No Gnus v0.18

* Re: Multiple gmal accounts and agent
@ 2011-06-26  9:28   ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-06-26  9:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Except that the agent doesn't work very well with imap at all (or did I
> miss something?), what exactly doesn't work with your setup?
>
> At a first glance, at least it seems to put its files into
>
>   News/agent/<ServerName>/some/group/here/
>
> so there shouldn't be clashes there...

Yeah, I don't really see how this could be messed up by the Agent.

I mean, except for general Agent up-messing-of.  :-)

* Re: Multiple gmal accounts and agent
@ 2011-06-26 11:45   ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2011-06-26 11:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Richard Riley <rileyrg@googlemail.com> writes:
>
> Hi Riley,
>
>>    (add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods
>>                 '(nnimap "riley"
>>    (add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods
>>                 '(nnimap "shamrockpub"
>>    (add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods
>>                 '(nnimap "friends"
>>
>> where riley, shamrockpub and friends all denote the authinfo machine
>> line.
>>
>> I would love to use the agent but this set up doesnt work with it.
>
> Except that the agent doesn't work very well with imap at all (or did I
> miss something?), what exactly doesn't work with your setup?
>
> At a first glance, at least it seems to put its files into
>
>   News/agent/<ServerName>/some/group/here/
>
> so there shouldn't be clashes there...
>
> Bye,
> Tassilo

Well, I have posted the same data numerous times. It doesnt work. Try
it. At least two groups all report the same message counts. The set up
to reproduce it is above.

* Re: Multiple gmal accounts and agent
@ 2011-06-26 18:16     ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2011-06-26 18:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> I mean, except for general Agent up-messing-of.  :-)

To recap: these consists of
 - some articles not being cached
 - sometimes the wrong article is being cached
 - sometimes a NOV fragment ending up as the cached articles

The thing that makes it hard to debug is the "sometimes" in all of the
above.  When I have tried to edebug the functions in question, things
have seemed to behave properly.