* hyphenation & MIME wrapping
@ 1999-07-02 13:41 Robert Bihlmeyer
From: Robert Bihlmeyer @ 1999-07-02 13:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I remembered a feature wish of mine while pondering the dict.el stuff.

What I think would be a cool addition to gnus/emacs is automatic
hyphenation (AFAIK there are algorithms for that and you don't need
wordlists and stuff). Word-wrapping while composing could be augmented
to deal with supercalifragilistically long words. For Gnus, this helps
message composition, and the display of articles.

For example, pgnus treats MIMEish soft-returns ("=\n") wrong. It
ignores it completely, resulting in a very long line which is
displayed by emacs in the default (read: unreadable) way. These
paragraphs should be wrapped to the present line-width, to be in the
spirit of MIME. Even giving up and treating soft-returns as proper
returns is better than the current solution.

	Robbe

--
Robert Bihlmeyer	reads: Deutsch, English, MIME, Latin-1, NO SPAM!
<robbe@orcus.priv.at>	<http://stud2.tuwien.ac.at/~e9426626/sig.html>

* Re: hyphenation & MIME wrapping
@ 1999-07-02 18:36 ` Kai.Grossjohann
From: Kai.Grossjohann @ 1999-07-02 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Robert Bihlmeyer <e9426626@stud2.tuwien.ac.at> writes:

  > For example, pgnus treats MIMEish soft-returns ("=\n") wrong.

I thought that these were a way to send long lines via sites which
have some affinity to the eighty-column mindset?  Please note that
often, the soft return comes after the 72nd (or so) character, in the
middle of a word.

I think the wrapping of long lines should be the same, whether
MIME-encoded with soft returns or not.

See also `W w'.

kai
--
Life is hard and then you die.

* Re: hyphenation & MIME wrapping
@ 1999-07-04  4:40   ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-07-04  4:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE writes:

>   > For example, pgnus treats MIMEish soft-returns ("=\n") wrong.
>
> I thought that these were a way to send long lines via sites which
> have some affinity to the eighty-column mindset?

They are.

* Re: hyphenation & MIME wrapping
@ 1999-07-04 16:10 ` François Pinard
From: François Pinard @ 1999-07-04 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Robert Bihlmeyer <e9426626@stud2.tuwien.ac.at> writes:

> For example, pgnus treats MIMEish soft-returns ("=\n") wrong.

I do not think this concept is part of MIME (text/enriched put aside :-).

* Re: hyphenation & MIME wrapping
@ 1999-07-05 17:38   ` Robert Bihlmeyer
From: Robert Bihlmeyer @ 1999-07-05 17:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

 Kai> Robert Bihlmeyer <e9426626@stud2.tuwien.ac.at> writes:
 >> For example, pgnus treats MIMEish soft-returns ("=\n") wrong.

 Kai> I thought that these were a way to send long lines via sites
 Kai> which have some affinity to the eighty-column mindset? Please
 Kai> note that often, the soft return comes after the 72nd (or so)
 Kai> character, in the middle of a word.

Hmm, the usage I saw was to only do hard line-breaks only at paragraph
endings, and soft line-breaks where needed to stay under 76 chars
width. But obviously, this is not The Way MIME Intended It. I rest my
case.

 Kai> See also `W w'.

This wraps the whole article, which is very wrong if tabular material,
C code, etc is included. Sigh.

	Robbe

--

@ 1999-07-05 17:45     ` Kai.Grossjohann
From: Kai.Grossjohann @ 1999-07-05 17:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Robert Bihlmeyer <e9426626@stud2.tuwien.ac.at> writes:

>  Kai> See also `W w'.
>
> This wraps the whole article, which is very wrong if tabular material,
> C code, etc is included. Sigh.

There was also talk on this list about a command which wraps only long
lines.  I'm not sure what became of it, though.

kai
--
Life is hard and then you die.

* Re: hyphenation & MIME wrapping
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-07-06 15:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE writes:

> There was also talk on this list about a command which wraps only long
> lines.  I'm not sure what became of it, though.

It became `W q'.  :-)

* Re: hyphenation & MIME wrapping
@ 1999-07-06 16:17         ` Kai.Grossjohann
From: Kai.Grossjohann @ 1999-07-06 16:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE writes:
>
> > There was also talk on this list about a command which wraps only long
> > lines.  I'm not sure what became of it, though.
>
> It became `W q'.  :-)

Hm?  `C-h c W q' sez "W q runs the command
gnus-article-de-quoted-unreadable".  I also tested this, it didn't do
anything with long lines.

`W w' also fills short lines which is not what we were looking for.

kai
--
Life is hard and then you die.

* Re: hyphenation & MIME wrapping
@ 1999-07-06 18:55           ` Michael Welsh Duggan
From: Michael Welsh Duggan @ 1999-07-06 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE writes:

> Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> writes:
>
> > Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE writes:
> >
> > > There was also talk on this list about a command which wraps only long
> > > lines.  I'm not sure what became of it, though.
> >
> > It became `W q'.  :-)
>
> Hm?  `C-h c W q' sez "W q runs the command
> gnus-article-de-quoted-unreadable".  I also tested this, it didn't do
> anything with long lines.
>
> `W w' also fills short lines which is not what we were looking for.

Looks like it's `W Q'.

--
Michael Duggan
(md5i@cs.cmu.edu)

* Re: hyphenation & MIME wrapping
@ 1999-07-07 10:02             ` Kai.Grossjohann
From: Kai.Grossjohann @ 1999-07-07 10:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Michael Welsh Duggan <md5i@cs.cmu.edu> writes:

> Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE writes:
>
> > Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> writes:

> > > It became `W q'.  :-)
> >
> > Hm?  `C-h c W q' sez "W q runs the command
> > gnus-article-de-quoted-unreadable".
>
> Looks like it's `W Q'.

Oh.  :-(  Silly me.

kai