* Spam discarding system I've found extremely efficient
@ 1998-02-13 23:20 Edvard Majakari
From: Edvard Majakari @ 1998-02-13 23:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ok, that # R works nice, thank you for informing me. Now that I'm at
it, I wonder why 'junk' doesn't throw mail to /dev/null. I know it
might be for security reasons, but as I use the following rule to
discard spam:

(setq nnmail-split-fancy
      '(|
	(from   "\\.fi" "other")
	(to-cc   edvard "other")
	"junk")
)

That is, if the mail headers don't match anything used by my friends,
I check if the domain ends in .fi. If it doesn't, I give a poor chap
one more chance :) - there's an abbreviation called edvard which is a
regexp matching all my e-mail addresses. Then, because most spams
(over 90% at least, IMHO) don't contain a valid To-field, if this rule
fails too, I consider the mail spam and want to discard it. I played
with this system half a year, only that I made the last rule put mail
to nnml:spam. One message which wasn't spam message ended up there,
and it wasn't any important. All very important mail coming to me
(work etc) comes from .fi domain and contains a valid to-field too -
so I'm happy with the system.

Of course, this system requires that there is a mail group for all
mailing lists, as those usually are not from .fi domain, and don't
have a to-field pointing to you either.

But back to my question: it seems like Gnus creates a directory called
junk anyway, and thinking of spam e-mail using my HDD is annoying :)
I could use the similar system with procmail, but I find it inelegant,
as Gnus already contains necessary features to implement it (I just
don't know how exactly). How do I point mail to /dev/null, so that it
won't use any space? At the moment I've rm'd ~/Mail/junk once in a
while, but..

--
//Ed               GSM: 040 5960810     URL: http://lodge.ton.tut.fi/%7Eed/
I think it's a new feature.  Don't tell anyone it was an accident.  :-)

* Re: Spam discarding system I've found extremely efficient
@ 1998-02-14  1:11 ` François Pinard
From: François Pinard @ 1998-02-14  1:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Edvard Majakari <ed@a41a.otanner.ton.tut.fi> writes:

> Now that I'm at it, I wonder why 'junk' doesn't throw mail to
> /dev/null.

> (setq nnmail-split-fancy
>       '(|
> 	"junk")
> )

It has to be written `junk' without the quotes, not `"junk"'.

--
François Pinard                            mailto:pinard@iro.umontreal.ca
Join the free Translation Project!    http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/~pinard