* Gnus 5.8.2: group list
@ 1999-12-05  5:50 Jack Vinson
From: Jack Vinson @ 1999-12-05  5:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've noticed this before, but wasn't sure what was happening.  I am still
not sure, but it is fairly repeatable.

I will sometimes see one of my groups show up in duplicate.  (Sometimes in
the same topic, sometimes as the top-level topic.)  When I C-k it from one
location it also vanishes from the other location.  I can easily C-y it
back into its correct place.

This is where things get funny.  If I do a new 'l', then a /different/
group will show up as a duplicate.

Has something funny happened to my .newsrc.eld file?

--
Jack Vinson <jvinson@chevax.ecs.umass.edu>    http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~vinson/
Zippy: ..  If I had heart failure right now, I couldn't be a more fortunate man!!

* Re: Gnus 5.8.2: group list
@ 1999-12-06  0:43 ` Brian May
From: Brian May @ 1999-12-06  0:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

    Jack> I will sometimes see one of my groups show up in duplicate.
    Jack> (Sometimes in the same topic, sometimes as the top-level
    Jack> topic.)  When I C-k it from one location it also vanishes
    Jack> from the other location.  I can easily C-y it back into its
    Jack> correct place.

    Jack> This is where things get funny.  If I do a new 'l', then a
    Jack> /different/ group will show up as a duplicate.

I saw similar behaviour in PGnus 0.97 and PGnus 0.98.

I was about to report a bug, but then I accidently pushed the wrong
button, and resorted the list of groups (IIRC).  I have never seen the
problem since.

When the problem occurred for me, Gnus never displayed the number of
articles for the first duplicate entry - instead it put a "*". This
duplicate entry was always right at the top, unless I move it
elsewhere.

--
Brian May <bmay@csse.monash.edu.au>

* Re: Gnus 5.8.2: group list
@ 1999-12-06  8:54   ` Jaap-Henk Hoepman
From: Jaap-Henk Hoepman @ 1999-12-06  8:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 06 Dec 1999 11:43:50 +1100 Brian May <bmay@csse.monash.edu.au> writes:

>     Jack> I will sometimes see one of my groups show up in duplicate.
>     Jack> (Sometimes in the same topic, sometimes as the top-level
>     Jack> topic.)  When I C-k it from one location it also vanishes
>     Jack> from the other location.  I can easily C-y it back into its
>     Jack> correct place.
>
>     Jack> This is where things get funny.  If I do a new 'l', then a
>     Jack> /different/ group will show up as a duplicate.
>
> I saw similar behaviour in PGnus 0.97 and PGnus 0.98.
>
> I was about to report a bug, but then I accidently pushed the wrong
> button, and resorted the list of groups (IIRC).  I have never seen the
> problem since.
>
> When the problem occurred for me, Gnus never displayed the number of
> articles for the first duplicate entry - instead it put a "*". This
> duplicate entry was always right at the top, unless I move it
> elsewhere.

This also happened to me today after upgrading from pgnus 0.96 to gnus 5.8.2.
What's the right way to fix it?

Jaap-Henk

--
Jaap-Henk Hoepman             | Come sail your ships around me
Dept. of Computer Science     | And burn these bridges down

* Re: Gnus 5.8.2: group list
@ 1999-12-06 18:38     ` François Pinard
From: François Pinard @ 1999-12-06 18:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Jaap-Henk Hoepman <hoepman@cs.utwente.nl> writes:

> >     Jack> This is where things get funny.  If I do a new 'l', then a
> >     Jack> /different/ group will show up as a duplicate.
> >
> > I saw similar behaviour in PGnus 0.97 and PGnus 0.98.

I'm seeing this too for a good while, but it only affects an experimental
group with diacriticic characters in its name, everything else is fine.
I should probably have reported it, if I knew I had more time to experiment
about such groups, but I'm lacking time in these weeks.

P.S. - I also received an UTF-8 encoded message which was also Base64
coded, and experimented Mule problems (spurious \200).  Same situation:
such things require time just to begin to understand, at least enough to
sustain a conversation with Lars about it :-).