* 19.34 --> 20.4, 5.6.43 --> 0.80
@ 1999-03-05 23:37 Dan Christensen
From: Dan Christensen @ 1999-03-05 23:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've just upgraded my emacs from 19.34 to 20.4, and my Gnus
from 5.6.43 to pgnus 0.80.

Besides the new mail source stuff, is there anything I should be
updating in my init files?  Do I have to turn Mime on?  (I didn't use
any MIME packages like tm in the past.)  Do I have to set a language
environment?  Should I run emacs with --unibyte or not?  I mostly use
English and don't understand much about Mule.  I did install the
intlfonts package.  What's a good font(set) to use for emacs?

Here are the oddities I've noticed so far:

1) I run ispell from my message-send-hook, and it gave an error
message:

Ispell misalignment: word `JSa' point 266; probably incompatible versions

locate-library shows that this is the ispell.el that comes with 20.4.
Our ispell binary is 3.1.20 which I installed just 7 months ago.  I
guess this is unlikely to be a Gnus problem.

2) I set message-send-hook to nil and tried again.  After `C-c C-c' I
got an error: "Can't encode a part with several charsets."  Isn't Gnus
supposed to break the message into parts automatically?

[And is there an easier way to send a message without invoking
message-send-hook?]

3) When I start gnus, all my groups on levels 4 and 5 show up in the
group buffer.  These are my nnfolder groups which new mail never gets
split to.  gnus-activate-level is 3.  If I `M-g' on one of these, and
then hit `l', the group disappears (as it should).  Similarly, `5 g'
makes them go away, but this takes a long time because there are lots
of them.  (This is why I have gnus-activate-level set to 3)  This
didn't happen with 19.34 and 5.6.43.

Thanks for any help,

Dan

--
Dan Christensen
jdc@math.jhu.edu

* Re: 19.34 --> 20.4, 5.6.43 --> 0.80
@ 1999-03-06  5:30 ` Alan Shutko
From: Alan Shutko @ 1999-03-06  5:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

D> I've just upgraded my emacs from 19.34 to 20.4, and my Gnus from

Note that this isn't 20.4 yet.  Since it's still in testing, it would
probably be nice if you said "the latest pretest", which won't confuse
people into thinking that emacs 20.4 has been released.

D> Besides the new mail source stuff, is there anything I should be
D> updating in my init files?

Any of the new Emacs 20 stuff.  Check the NEWS file.

D> Do I have to turn Mime on?

I'm pretty sure you don't have to.

D> Do I have to set a language environment?  Should I run emacs with
D> --unibyte or not?  I mostly use English and don't understand much
D> about Mule.  I did install the intlfonts package.  What's a good
D> font(set) to use for emacs?

These questions should all probably be asked on gnu.emacs.help, since
they're general Emacs questions.

D> 1) I run ispell from my message-send-hook, and it gave an error
D> message:

D> Ispell misalignment: word `JSa' point 266; probably incompatible
D> versions

It seems to work fine for me if I just M-x ispell-message from the
buffer.  Does that work for you?

D> locate-library shows that this is the ispell.el that comes with
D> 20.4.  Our ispell binary is 3.1.20 which I installed just 7 months
D> ago.  I guess this is unlikely to be a Gnus problem.

Oh.  Actually, I'm using the one which came with Ispell.  Try that
one, it's generally more compatible with a specific version.

D> 2) I set message-send-hook to nil and tried again.  After `C-c C-c'
D> I got an error: "Can't encode a part with several charsets."  Isn't
D> Gnus supposed to break the message into parts automatically?

Oh... you were trying to spellcheck a multibyte message?  I don't
think that can work.

You might consider downgrading to Emacs 20.3 until 20.4 is officially
released, unless you feel like debugging problems which might be
there.

--
Alan Shutko <ats@acm.org> - By consent of the corrupted
IBM: I've Been Mauled

* Re: 19.34 --> 20.4, 5.6.43 --> 0.80
@ 1999-03-06 13:46   ` François Pinard
From: François Pinard @ 1999-03-06 13:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

> D> Do I have to set a language environment?  Should I run emacs with
> D> --unibyte or not?

Lars told a few times Gnus works better when --unibyte is not used.
I tried both, and both were workable for me.  Yet, in --unibyte, I was
unable to see much of those sexy characters, beyond French ones :-).

> D> I mostly use English and don't understand much about Mule.  I did
> D> install the intlfonts package.  What's a good font(set) to use
> D> for emacs?

I define these in .bash_login:

export EMACS19FONT='-adobe-courier-medium-r-normal--*-140-*-*-m-*-iso8859-1'
export EMACS20FONT='-*-fixed-medium-r-normal-*-16-*-*-*-*-*-fontset-standard'
export XEMACSFONT='-*-fixed-medium-r-normal-*-16-*-*-*-*-*-fontset-standard'

and use this code in .emacs:

(setq EMACS19 (string-match "\\<Emacs 19" (emacs-version))
      EMACS20 (string-match "\\<Emacs 20" (emacs-version))
      XEMACS (string-match "XEmacs\\|Lucid" (emacs-version)))

;[...]

(cond (XEMACS (set-face-font 'default (getenv "XEMACSFONT")))
      (EMACS20 (set-default-font (getenv "EMACS20FONT")))
      (EMACS19 (set-default-font (getenv "EMACS19FONT"))))

If you have a longish `.emacs' file (which is my case), I suggest you
execute the above code early, because it might change the dimensions of
your Emacs frame.  You can then reposition the frame with the mouse while
the initialization proceeds.

> D> 1) I run ispell from my message-send-hook, and it gave an error
> D> message:

> D> Ispell misalignment: word `JSa' point 266; probably incompatible
> D> versions

I got the same, at a time I was not using --unibyte.  I reported the
problem to appropriate people, and had no indication that the problem
was ever clearly identified.  My intuition was that it is a Mule related
problem, but this was not confirmed.  Recently, with a recent Emacs pretest,
I removed the --unibyte, and these `ispell' problems did not come back.
However, the conditions of my testing are different, as I now use the nice
Manuel Serrano's `flyspell' package (included in the pretest).

> D> locate-library shows that this is the ispell.el that comes with
> D> 20.4.  Our ispell binary is 3.1.20 which I installed just 7 months
> D> ago.  I guess this is unlikely to be a Gnus problem.

I'm not sure `ispell.el' fully knows how to do arithmetic in buffers with
all those internal-supposedly-invisible `\201' added in them.

> D> 2) I set message-send-hook to nil and tried again.  After `C-c C-c'
> D> I got an error: "Can't encode a part with several charsets."  Isn't
> D> Gnus supposed to break the message into parts automatically?

Yes, it should.  But recently, Gnus gave me this unexpected message as well.
I reported the matter to Lars.

--
François Pinard                            mailto:pinard@iro.umontreal.ca
Join the free Translation Project!    http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/~pinard