* 19.34 --> 20.4, 5.6.43 --> 0.80
@ 1999-03-05 23:37 Dan Christensen
From: Dan Christensen @ 1999-03-05 23:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've just upgraded my emacs from 19.34 to 20.4, and my Gnus
from 5.6.43 to pgnus 0.80.

Besides the new mail source stuff, is there anything I should be
updating in my init files?  Do I have to turn Mime on?  (I didn't use
any MIME packages like tm in the past.)  Do I have to set a language
environment?  Should I run emacs with --unibyte or not?  I mostly use
English and don't understand much about Mule.  I did install the
intlfonts package.  What's a good font(set) to use for emacs?

Here are the oddities I've noticed so far:

1) I run ispell from my message-send-hook, and it gave an error
message:

Ispell misalignment: word `JSa' point 266; probably incompatible versions

locate-library shows that this is the ispell.el that comes with 20.4.
Our ispell binary is 3.1.20 which I installed just 7 months ago.  I
guess this is unlikely to be a Gnus problem.

2) I set message-send-hook to nil and tried again.  After `C-c C-c' I
got an error: "Can't encode a part with several charsets."  Isn't Gnus
supposed to break the message into parts automatically?

[And is there an easier way to send a message without invoking
message-send-hook?]

3) When I start gnus, all my groups on levels 4 and 5 show up in the
group buffer.  These are my nnfolder groups which new mail never gets
split to.  gnus-activate-level is 3.  If I `M-g' on one of these, and
then hit `l', the group disappears (as it should).  Similarly, `5 g'
makes them go away, but this takes a long time because there are lots
of them.  (This is why I have gnus-activate-level set to 3)  This
didn't happen with 19.34 and 5.6.43.

Thanks for any help,

Dan

--