From: "François Pinard" <pinard@iro.umontreal.ca>
Cc: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: Attaching notes to messages
Date: 09 Oct 1999 12:36:49 -0400	[thread overview]

Hannu Koivisto <azure@iki.fi> writes:

> Has anyone thought about or, even better, implemented some way of
> attaching arbitrary notes to messages?

I usually edit my notes within the messages themselves.  I do this really
all the time, and I suspect I may be the "biggest" message editor of the
whole `ding' list :-).  One very usual problem for me is that some backends
just do not allow message editing.

But your suggestion is quite enlightening, in that if Gnus was offering
ways to add not only annotations, but _also_ hide parts of any message,
or even have some per-message washing options, all of this without
touching the originals, maybe my need to edit all the time would decrease
dramatically, and I would be glad being able to ask Gnus to recover the
original unedited/unannotated message.

I guess that all these annotations should be taken under consideration while
preparing the quoted contents of a reply to a message, unless one first
visited the message without annotations, something that should be possible.

Expiry, moving, searching, and other things handling articles would have
to cope with annotations as well.  So, despite the capability might be
very attractive (for me at least), it also means non-negligible work in
Gnus internals -- it might be a major undertaking.