* Gnus 5.9.0 - Minor annoyance in URL buttons
@ 2003-07-01 10:18 François Pinard
From: François Pinard @ 2003-07-01 10:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello.

This is a minor annoyance that hits me once in a while, that an URL button,
in an `*Article*' buffer, contains the following apostrophe, if any.  I do
not remember if I ever reported it, so just in case, here I am. :-)

For example, in a copy of an announcement I made yesterday:

---------------------------------------------------------------------->

`http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/~pinard/pymacs/' contains a copy of the
Pymacs documentation in HTML form.  The canonical Pymacs distribution is
available as `http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/~pinard/pymacs/Pymacs.tar.gz'.
Report problems and suggestions to `mailto:pinard@iro.umontreal.ca'.
----------------------------------------------------------------------<

clicking on the first link fails because there is no such:

---------------------------------------------------------------------->
http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/~pinard/pymacs/'
----------------------------------------------------------------------<

Notice the apostrophe at the end.  If you carefully look at the following
image, you will see that the closing apostrophe is both bold and underlined
(I might not be using the default Gnus method for display, but you surely
get the idea!)

[-- Attachment #2: gnus-url.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 4265 bytes --]

P.S. - The report _I_ got was about the HTML page at the first link being
very partial -- no need to report it, I'll look at it now! :-)

* Re: Gnus 5.9.0 - Minor annoyance in URL buttons
@ 2003-07-01 10:56 ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2003-07-01 10:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Jul 01 2003, François Pinard wrote:

> This is a minor annoyance that hits me once in a while, that an URL button,
> in an `*Article*' buffer, contains the following apostrophe, if any.  I do
> not remember if I ever reported it, so just in case, here I am. :-)
[...]
> `http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/~pinard/pymacs/' [...]

It seems that this is already fixed in Gnus 5.10.

> Notice the apostrophe at the end.  If you carefully look at the
> following image, you will see that the closing apostrophe is both
> bold and underlined

Note that the highlighted part is not necessarily equal to the string
passed to the handler function.  See `BUTTON-PAR' vs. `DATA-PAR' in
(info "(gnus)Article Buttons").

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: Gnus 5.9.0 - Minor annoyance in URL buttons
@ 2003-07-01 12:08   ` François Pinard
From: François Pinard @ 2003-07-01 12:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

[Reiner Steib]
> [François Pinard]

> > This is a minor annoyance that hits me once in a while, that an URL
> > button, in an `*Article*' buffer, contains the following apostrophe [...]
> > `http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/~pinard/pymacs/' [...]

> It seems that this is already fixed in Gnus 5.10.

Thanks for checking!

> > Notice the apostrophe at the end.  If you carefully look at the
> > following image, you will see that the closing apostrophe is both bold
> > and underlined

> Note that the highlighted part is not necessarily equal to the string
> passed to the handler function.  See `BUTTON-PAR' vs. `DATA-PAR' in (info
> "(gnus)Article Buttons").

Understood and agreed, thanks for the pointer.  Yet, despite the button and
data are not necessarily identical, BUTTON-PAR should ideally give a good
hint about what DATA-PAR will be.  In the case here, there would be no good
reason to highlight the trailing apostrophe, it is not to be part of the
URL.  I presume that if 5.10 already corrects the problem, it also corrects
the highlighting.

                                        Have a good day!