* Server resetting article number
@ 1998-09-21 15:27 Hrvoje Niksic
From: Hrvoje Niksic @ 1998-09-21 15:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Can Gnus really suck all that much, once the server decides to reset
the article numbers and begin from 1?  This happens when the server
software is reinstalled, for instance.

Isn't there anything I can do to fix my primary news groups, aside
from editing .newsrc.eld?

--
Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr> | Student at FER Zagreb, Croatia
--------------------------------+--------------------------------

* Re: Server resetting article number
@ 1998-09-21 15:32 ` Karl Kleinpaste
From: Karl Kleinpaste @ 1998-09-21 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr> writes:
> Can Gnus really suck all that much, once the server decides to reset
> the article numbers and begin from 1?  This happens when the server
> software is reinstalled, for instance.

Not when it's re-installed sensibly, no.  When server software is
installed, or re-installed, you're supposed to give the new software
an up-to-date active file.  There's no excuse for letting article
numbers on any given server host become reset.

* Re: Server resetting article number
@ 1998-09-21 15:39   ` Hrvoje Niksic
From: Hrvoje Niksic @ 1998-09-21 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Karl Kleinpaste <karl@jprc.com> writes:

> Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr> writes:
> > Can Gnus really suck all that much, once the server decides to reset
> > the article numbers and begin from 1?  This happens when the server
> > software is reinstalled, for instance.
>
> Not when it's re-installed sensibly, no.  When server software is
> installed, or re-installed, you're supposed to give the new software
> an up-to-date active file.  There's no excuse for letting article
> numbers on any given server host become reset.

Even if this is true, this happens in practice.  It happened to Steve,
and now it happened to me.  What am I supposed to do, other than cry
at the cruel world?  I think Gnus should offer some protection in that
case other than silently bugging out and destroying data.

Like Steve, I know I'll ***NEVER*** use persistent articles again.

--
Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr> | Student at FER Zagreb, Croatia
--------------------------------+--------------------------------
The Lord protects children and fools...  But don't push it.

* Re: Server resetting article number
@ 1998-09-21 15:43     ` Karl Kleinpaste
From: Karl Kleinpaste @ 1998-09-21 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr> writes:
> Even if this is true, this happens in practice.  It happened to Steve,
> and now it happened to me.  What am I supposed to do, other than cry
> at the cruel world?  I think Gnus should offer some protection in that
> case other than silently bugging out and destroying data.

Unfortunately, taking out a murder contract on your newsadmin is
probably still illegal.

Maybe Gnus should help you along, but really, the situation you're up
against is effectively one of stepping up to a brand new server for
the first time, with no correlating history against previous activity.

Treat it like a new server, 'cuz that's what it is.  I don't know what
you think Gnus should be able to do, other than perhaps auto-resetting
art#s to reflect the server's aborted state.

* Re: Server resetting article number
@ 1998-09-21 15:47       ` Hrvoje Niksic
From: Hrvoje Niksic @ 1998-09-21 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Karl Kleinpaste <karl@jprc.com> writes:

> Treat it like a new server, 'cuz that's what it is.

Great!  I'm willing to do that, because I don't have all that many
cached articles.  Could you please elaborate on what exactly I should
do?

Summary of the problem: all the articles are showing up as "read"
because their articles numbers are in the "read" range, as Gnus
considers it.

--
Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr> | Student at FER Zagreb, Croatia
--------------------------------+--------------------------------
Try to use "ad nauseam" at least once per flame. It doesn't mean
anything; but it gives that polished feel to your postings.

* Re: Server resetting article number
@ 1998-09-21 15:52         ` Karl Kleinpaste
From: Karl Kleinpaste @ 1998-09-21 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr> writes:
> Could you please elaborate on what exactly I should do?

I would think `G DEL' of each of those groups, then resurrecting them
as "fresh", would cover it.  I don't use the cache; does it DTRT with
regard to destroying defunct data after `G DEL'?

* Re: Server resetting article number
@ 1998-09-21 16:04           ` Hrvoje Niksic
From: Hrvoje Niksic @ 1998-09-21 16:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Karl Kleinpaste <karl@jprc.com> writes:

> Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr> writes:
> > Could you please elaborate on what exactly I should do?
>
> I would think `G DEL' of each of those groups

    This backend does not support group deletion

What now?

--
Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr> | Student at FER Zagreb, Croatia
--------------------------------+--------------------------------
If anything goes wrong, blame the random-number generator!

* Re: Server resetting article number
@ 1998-09-21 16:06         ` Istvan Marko
From: Istvan Marko @ 1998-09-21 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr> writes:

> Karl Kleinpaste <karl@jprc.com> writes:
>
> > Treat it like a new server, 'cuz that's what it is.
>
> Great!  I'm willing to do that, because I don't have all that many
> cached articles.  Could you please elaborate on what exactly I should
> do?

How about gnus-group-clear-data or
gnus-group-clear-data-on-native-groups?

--
	Istvan

* Re: Server resetting article number
@ 1998-09-21 16:08             ` Karl Kleinpaste
From: Karl Kleinpaste @ 1998-09-21 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr> writes:
>     This backend does not support group deletion

What?  In the *Group* buffer, `G DEL' pretty *must* work.

* Re: Server resetting article number
@ 1998-09-21 16:12               ` Hrvoje Niksic
From: Hrvoje Niksic @ 1998-09-21 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Karl Kleinpaste <karl@jprc.com> writes:

> Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr> writes:
> >     This backend does not support group deletion
>
> What?  In the *Group* buffer, `G DEL' pretty *must* work.

`G DEL' doesn't work for any nntp group.

--
Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr> | Student at FER Zagreb, Croatia
--------------------------------+--------------------------------
Do not meddle in the affairs of troff, for it is subtle and quick
to anger.

* Re: Server resetting article number
@ 1998-09-21 17:13                 ` William M. Perry
From: William M. Perry @ 1998-09-21 17:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr> writes:

> Karl Kleinpaste <karl@jprc.com> writes:
>
> > Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr> writes:
> > >     This backend does not support group deletion
> >
> > What?  In the *Group* buffer, `G DEL' pretty *must* work.
>
> `G DEL' doesn't work for any nntp group.

  You should be able to nuke it with C-k or U and then resubscribe to it.
Worst case, you could edit .newsrc.eld and simply remove the offending
newsgroups manually.

-Bill P.

* Re: Server resetting article number
@ 1998-09-21 21:45     ` François Pinard
From: François Pinard @ 1998-09-21 21:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr> writes:
> Karl Kleinpaste <karl@jprc.com> writes:
> > Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr> writes:

> > > Can Gnus really suck all that much [...]

> > Not when it's re-installed sensibly, no.  There's no excuse for letting
> > article numbers on any given server host become reset.

> Even if this is true, this happens in practice.  What am I supposed to
> do, other than cry at the cruel world?

It never happened to me, Hrvoje.  Maybe because I suffer FSF Emacs and Mule?
This might merely be another manifestation of the Immanent Justice! :-)

--
François Pinard                            mailto:pinard@iro.umontreal.ca
Join the free Translation Project!    http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/~pinard