From: "François Pinard" <pinard@iro.umontreal.ca>
Subject: 1) Trying to use `nnfolder'  2) Remote access
Date: 04 Mar 1999 21:57:35 -0500	[thread overview]

Hi, people.  (And maybe Lars?)

Following a suggestion from Horvje, I would like trying `nnfolder' to
access a lot of Babyl files from within Gnus (and take advantage of MIME
and many other features), but do not find the magic incantations to get
it up running from my `.gnus' file.  Oh, I tried a full day, a while ago,
but after a lot of Gnus reactions looking bizarre to me, I got somewhat
discouraged of trying.  Cleaning directories and `.newsrc.eld' after each
try is also painful for me.

The manual says very little about how to configure backends and start the
overall thing.  It took me some energy to get started with `nnml' initially,
and later, with `nnsoup'.  `nndoc' was easier.  The rest is still mysterious
for me.  Once again, this is maybe the weakest point of the Gnus manual.

Would someone be kind enough to explain his/her own setup,
if using `nnfolder', and in some quick lines, what I should expect?

When I see a strange behavior, I'm usually careful to report it to Lars,
but in this case, so little works that I do not even know where to start
reporting.  I thought that a good initial step for me would be to mimic
the working setup of someone else.

I also have another, separate request for advice.  Currently, for some
projects I manage, I keep a mirror of my correspondence as a directory full
of Babyl files.  I know that Gnus has the capability of opening servers
on remote sets of articles, and would like to offer such a capability to
my pretesters if the change in format is not too drastic.  I do not have
much experience with these Gnus capabilities.  Would someone have opinions
about a working approach that would be a good compromise between outside
accessibility, and my current organisation (folders of Babyl files)?

--
François Pinard                            mailto:pinard@iro.umontreal.ca
Join the free Translation Project!    http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/~pinard