From: "François Pinard" <pinard@progiciels-bpi.ca>
Subject: Re: [??] delete garbage
Date: 09 Aug 1996 01:03:35 -0400	[thread overview]

Colin Rafferty <craffert@spspme.ml.com> writes:

   My problem is that now I am getting a deluge of these messages.
   Over 500 were waiting for me this morning, and I imagine I will receive
   over a thousand more by noon.  Since I am using nnml, each time I
   `g'et new news, I have a hundred little messages that say:

   > Wrote /local/craffert/Mail/mail/garbage/2516
   > Wrote /local/craffert/Mail/mail/garbage/2517
   > Wrote /local/craffert/Mail/mail/garbage/2518

   followed by a hundred more that say:

   > Deleting article /local/craffert/Mail/mail/garbage/2516 in mail.garbage...
   > Deleting article /local/craffert/Mail/mail/garbage/2517 in mail.garbage...
   > Deleting article /local/craffert/Mail/mail/garbage/2518 in mail.garbage...

   This takes too long (even on my local disk).  Does anyone know a way
   to trash these messages directly?  Would I have a faster time if I
   used an nnfolder on that group?

If I had your problem, I would surely have procmail dumping these messages
even before Gnus sees them.

My setup here is: UUCP ---> sendmail ---> procmail ---> Gnus, and it
is very convenient for me.  Having sendmail calling procmail directly
reduces the overhead, and eases its usage site-wide.  I'm not asking
procmail to split my own mail spool on the local machine, as Gnus can
do it conveniently, and also because things are more simple when Gnus
gets all its spool from a single place.  However, procmail is very good
for many off-line duties, like the redirection of mail between sites,
including the /dev/null one! ;-)

--
François Pinard         ``Vivement GNU!''        pinard@iro.umontreal.ca
Support Programming Freedom, join our League!  Ask lpf@lpf.org for info!